UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2010, 2:25 pm   #1
jagguyz
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ultrasonic Cleaners

Don`t know if this is already known by everyone, but I have found that an ultrasonic cleaner is invaluable for cleaning small components - I obtained a cheapy version at Maplin`s, but there must be several available on the narket.

JG
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 2:59 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Link to an earlier discussion about these:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=ultrasonic

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 4:26 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

As a follow-up to Ed's very last comment in the previous thread, it is also possible to run an ultrasonic cleaner filled entirely with solvent if you need to remove deposits which are insoluble in water. I know because I have done it. It was very effective at cleaning the bitumen off several hundred laminations which came from disassembled Quad II mains transformers. The alternative would have been many hours with a toothbrush and, inevitably, some contamination of my skin.

I used a small (but not tiny) unit borrowed from work and filled with paraffin (kerosene). The process is not risk-free. The paraffin warms up significantly, increasing the vapour pressure around the cleaner. I was also very worried about possible ignition from static sparks (needless to say it didn't happen, but I don't know if I was taking a significant risk). I did the job outdoors, well away from the house, and I used a long extension lead which I could unplug without going near the cleaner. I did this each time I needed to approach it. I also checked before I started that the stainless tank was well-earthed (via the mains cable, admittedly). I also kept a foam fire extinguisher close by. The precautions were a bit tedious, but the results were very effective.

Of course I still have a couple of litres of filthy paraffin to dispose of. If I can't find a better route I'll soak it into some rags and get rid of them in the next garden bonfire !

Cheers,

GJ
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 6:26 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

You may find that after a month or so, some of the sediment settles out and you can decant 75% of the paraffin. Won't be totally clean, but OK for re-use as a cleaning solvent. That only leaves you with half a litre of dirty paraffin - better make sure the bonfire isn't damp!
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 7:09 pm   #5
jagguyz
Retired Dormant Member

My apologies to all if this topic has already been well discussed - I put `ultrasonic` into search (proably spelt it wrongly).
Just for those who haven`t seen the Maplin`a cheapy version(£19.99), this is what it looks like - my apologies for the DAB radio in the background - My Wife - "Who can be bothered turning a dial before you can hear anything?"

JG

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	32216

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	32217

Last edited by Dave Moll; 2nd Feb 2010 at 8:36 pm. Reason: attachments tidied
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 8:11 pm   #6
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Damn.... I thought it was gonna be a thread about repairing them mine has died.

It looks just like a multiplier circuit on the PCB, I'm not too sure how it should work... oh well, no worries.

We have one of those jewellery ones too, yes we've cleaned allsorts in it, but mostly bike parts (when Jane is out) in warm water with a little detergent.

Last edited by G8VAT Wolfman; 2nd Feb 2010 at 8:16 pm.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 8:35 pm   #7
jagguyz
Retired Dormant Member

My fault - I just put it into "Tips, Hints etc.," because I have found the machine useful for delicate items and thought that there may be people who haven`t tried them.
One warning however - I tried it on a dial glass, the painted side of which is impossible to clean, and it removed some of the loose paint which I hadn`t noticed.
JG
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 8:45 pm   #8
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Nono JG, I didn't think that because of where the post was located.. just hopeful I suppose.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 8:55 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Wolfman, a lot of these units are simply power amplifiers with the transducer in the feedback path and are quite simple circuits. The Transducers are quite high"Q" and can be susceptible to damage, so check this after the Power supply.

Ed
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 10:08 pm   #10
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
You may find that after a month or so, some of the sediment settles out and you can decant 75% of the paraffin.
Ah, OK I'll have a look when I get a chance. I'm pessimistic though. This wasn't common-or-garden particulate dirt. Once upon a time the paraffin (or something like it) and the bitumen (or something like it) were combined as crude oil. I'm afraid I've at least partially reconstituted this and separation again is going to need a refinery

Cheers,

GJ
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 10:25 pm   #11
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the tech info Ed, I don't have it here to look straight in again, the PSU section was my first port of call with the meter and all appeared well.

Far as I remember it looked like some sort of diode multiplier with lots of diodes and big caps in a ladder arrangement, all covered in conformal coating.

It is quite an old unit, but maybe not old enough to qualify as vintage... I'll take another look then possibly start a new thread if necessary rather than take this one off subject.

I seem to have a plethora of broken toys at the moment.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 9:09 am   #12
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagguyz View Post
Just for those who haven`t seen the Maplin`a cheapy version(£19.99), this is what it looks like
Attachment 32216

Attachment 32217
Were these on offer recently? I can't find them on the Maplin website

John
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:29 am   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Is this the one? Now priced at £44.99!
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:45 am   #14
jagguyz
Retired Dormant Member

There appears to be a new, and cheaper version in their latest`sale` pamphlet - it also looks to be a bit bigger - product code A34JT - reduced from £29.99 to £19.99. It`s known as the Compact Ultrasonic Cleaner 2000.

JG
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 12:50 pm   #15
John M0GLN
Octode

I've just rung them, the promotions ended and unfortunately they've gone back up to £29.99, which I suppose is still reasonably cheap.

John

Last edited by Dave Moll; 3rd Feb 2010 at 7:58 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 2:11 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

Bother! That's just dashed my initial excitement about what to spend my £20 christmas voucher on

I wonder what they could possibly have modelled the case design on?
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 3:03 pm   #17
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I don't know about other people's experiences with these domestic ultrasonic cleaners, but I bought one a couple of years ago and found it to be useless. I tried cleaning a tarnished penny in it - hardly a demanding task.

I don't know if all domestic models, marketed primarily for cleaning jewellery are broadly the same, but the one I bought automatically cut out after 3 mins for "safety reasons". By that time, it had made no impression on the penny, though it appeared to be working, in that small bubbles could be observed.

I really ought to have guessed from the poncy appearance that it was a cheapo toy, but I gave it a few more 3-min shots, then concluded that it would be useless for cleannig components such as variable cap, tarnished terminals, valveholders etc.

I took it back to the retailer, told them I thought they were having a laugh and got my money back. (IIRC, it cost about £15.00)

I know what proper industrial ultrasonic baths are capable of - I've seen them in action -nothing short of spectacular, but I guess that as in all things, you get what you pay for.

It would be interesting to know if anyone on here has bought a domestic, rather than lab/industrial quality bath, and found it to be up to the task that we'd primarily expect of it.

David,
G4EBT

(Who uses Goddard's Silver Dip to clean old variable caps in seconds).
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 9:30 pm   #18
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

You would probably need a solvent cleaning medium to remove tarnish David, after all it's a chemical reaction of the surface metal, not just dirt stuck onto it.
A higher power would need less chemical assistance, but even my tub one (broken) would not clean the surface metal per say.

Our little jewellery one has cleaned the surface rubbish off sets of carbs very thoroughly but left the metal dull, I was using warm water with just a drop of detergent as usual for the medium, I've not been tempted to use chemicals just yet..
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 10:36 pm   #19
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I thought I'd use a coin as many years ago there was a DIY ultrasonic bath in Practical Electronics which I saw in operation at an Electronics fair. It brought up tarnished cupro nickel coins just like new. I've still got the circuit, but the firm that made the transducers burnt down! I'd rather hoped that over the years, another DIY bath might have appeared, but no such luck.

The bath that I had (for a day or so) certainly wouldn't have been up to the task of fettling up variable capacitors etc. In fact I can't think what it could do that hot water, detergent and a toothbrush couldn't do better.

I wonder if all these domestic ones are limited to a three minute cycle?

I spent my career at British Gas, where they used an ultrasonic bath for, among other things, refurbishing central heating pumps. The cast iron bodies - covered in black deposits internally and paint externally, came up with a matt grey sheen, just as though they'd been shot-blasted.

But then that was an industrial bath which costs thousands - not a cheapo toy, styled to not look out of place on a boudoir dressing table!

Regards,

David,
G4EBT

Last edited by Dave Moll; 4th Feb 2010 at 11:20 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Old 4th Feb 2010, 9:02 pm   #20
jagguyz
Retired Dormant Member

The one I referred to, and photographed above, has a 4m50s limit, but you can put it on time after time according to the instructions. If the colour of the water/detergent mix afterwards is anything to go by, they are fairly efficient, but won`t remove corrosion unless I suppose a chemical is added.
I found it good for dials as I have said, having been spectacularly unsuccessful with other methods.
JG
Closed Thread