UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2005, 8:07 pm   #1
Markjames
Retired Dormant Member

Default Eddystone 680x, how to dismantle

I recently acquired the above receiver in good working order but would like to clean the tuning scale and glass etc. Having taken the case off the unit, it looks very difficult to get to this area. Is it as difficult as it looks? should I bother, it's not that dirty?
Old 9th Jun 2006, 9:51 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Eddystone 680x, how to dismantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjames
I recently acquired the above receiver in good working order but would like to clean the tuning scale and glass etc. Having taken the case off the unit, it looks very difficult to get to this area. Is it as difficult as it looks? should I bother, it's not that dirty?
It is my experience that to do this entails the removal of the entire die-cast front panel from the main chassis: not a job for the faint-hearted! You might like to try the Eddystone User Group Web Page for help on this.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 10:26 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone 680x, how to dismantle

I think all Eddystones are similar. I have fully dismantled and repaired my 770R tuning drive, yes it wasn't easy.

You must remove the knobs which is not so easy on the 770R unless you know that the turret knob is held on by a tapered pin that is locked by the grubscrew, but the 680 is probably quite different (and easier). If you do encounter the tapered pin just realise that it is easy to remove if you drive it out using a panel pin, but only in the right direction.

The trick to removing the front panel is to realise that it is all held together by the bolts that hold the front handles on. Unscrew these, noting that the big spacers will fall out as you remove the bolts. There is one other rather curious bolt that must be undone somewhere in the middle area - you just remove the nut from it.

The last difficulty is that you have to release all the pots and switches from the panel.
Closed Thread