UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2008, 9:52 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Brasso for wood!

I'm not sure whether this has been put forward on the forum at some earlier time as a means of removing scuffs and making wooden cabinet parts nice and shiny once more, but I can't believe that I'm the only person to have done this:

The Hacker RP75 MB that I just posted up in "Success Stories" had wooden end pieces that were frankly in a shocking state, their one saving grace being thet no large chunks were missing from them. So, by pure chance and the proximity of my pot of Brasso wadding, I tried the product on the wood, which was so far gone that only covering their surface with some sort of dye or even thin paint would have been a viable alternative.
Long story short; it worked, rubbing the timber with the wadding and then, as when using it on anything else, polishing off with a soft duster, brought the wood up very well indeed. The little scratches and scrapes vanished, and are , two days after treatment, still not visible and the effect is very satisfactory.
Try it, I did so because there was nothing to lose, but it really works!
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 9:57 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Brasso for wood!

A cutting compound such as T-Cut will have a similar effect. It's always worth trying something like this before doing anything more drastic.

Paul
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 5:51 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

one word of caution . with these products that leave a white compound on drying , be aware of opend grain woods like oak. Its very difficult to remove it rom the grain.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 1:20 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I wondered about this too. Liquid Brasso certainly would do this but what about wadding? This is far less 'liquidy' than the former.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 9:03 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I use Rustins Finish Reviver for this sort of thing. It's similar to Brasso or T-cut, being mildly abrasive, but is formulated for wood finishes, and gives excellent results with little effort. Any residue is water soluble and very easy to remove.
It also works well on plastics, but caution is required - enthusiastic polishing can generate enough heat to melt the surface of some types, and the reviver can become trapped in the melted layer, causing staining.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 12:12 pm   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

This was the wadding, and no white streaks are evident even now, another few days after I did the job. I don't think it would be any more likely to stain than Topps and is even more effective at hiding little scratches than that stuff.

Here closer shots of the ends of the Super Sovereign that was treated with the wadding:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 048.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	18703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 049.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	18704  
Old 24th Jul 2008, 5:50 pm   #7
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry to butt in, how about Teak oil, I have found it do a wonderful job covering up scratches etc.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 9:18 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermanx2001 View Post
Sorry to butt in, how about Teak oil, I have found it do a wonderful job covering up scratches etc.
There are lots of finishes which will cover up scratches, but this thread is about rubbing off light scratches using Brasso and other cutting compounds.

Danish oil is often used as a finish which will also hide scratches. I often use the Colron range of dyed wax finishes.

Please stay on topic folks.

Paul
Old 24th Jul 2008, 9:29 pm   #9
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

I thought this topic was about scratches, wow it's like being back at school.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 9:35 pm   #10
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Actually the topic is "Brasso for wood."

No mention of scratches, a subject on which there are many other threads.