UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2013, 11:31 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Cause of intermittent indication on early Avominors

I've encountered this fault twice now in quick succession, and having scratched my head and wasted much time tracing it I thought I'd share it with you. The symptoms are erratic and/or intermittent pointer deflection.

This is caused by the top (front) bearing locknut on the movement coming slightly loose. This nut should hold the front panel zero adjuster in fairly tight friction contact with the front of the frame. The circuit through the moving coil relies on good electrical contact at this point. Early movements (1935-36) have nothing but a fibre washer between locknut and zero adjuster, but in later production this was replaced by a tiny wavy phosphor bronze spring washer.

Careful tightening of the locknut plus a tiny spot of contact cleaner cures the problem completely. The same fault affects both the DC-only Avominor and the Universal model which share a similar movement.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 4th Sep 2013, 8:57 pm   #2
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: Cause of intermittent indication on early Avominors

Now that could save considerable frustration! Many thanks for the tip Phil!
Old 4th Sep 2013, 9:17 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Cause of intermittent indication on early Avominors

Oh, yes, I wasted quite a bit of time on those two! Twiddling the front-panel zero adjuster while displaying a reading should quickly identify whether this is the cause of the intermittency or not.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread