UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2007, 10:04 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default One set saved, nine skipped...

I've read numerous accounts from Forum members about sets they have saved from the skip at municipal waste recycling depots, but it happened to me for the first time yesterday. The lady in the next bay had just dumped a set but I managed to save a nice KB AR30 from the same fate

She told me she had found ten old radios in her late mother's loft... despite advertising in the local paper (which doesn't cover my area) no-one came forward to buy them, and so nine more old sets had been lost by the time I happened to arrive on the scene.

It grieves me to think about old radios being thrown away, but then again, I have better things to do than spend all my time at the waste depot The only way I can think that would prevent the continuing loss of old radio sets to the preservation movement would be to post a sign at the entrance to the site, saying "Don't skip that old valve wireless set! It may be worth £5! Contact ..... " or something similar.

Has anyone managed to come to a workable arrangement with their local recycling depot? How did you do it?

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th Nov 2007, 11:37 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: One set saved, nine skipped...

I've tried sticking an ad in Freecycle, but with no success so far. Our Freecycle is pretty tichy though, so people living in larger towns may have more luck.

I'm pretty sure that our tip owners would not allow / soon remove a sign placed outside - but it may be worth a go asking

Last edited by evingar; 11th Nov 2007 at 11:39 pm. Reason: r
Old 12th Nov 2007, 9:00 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It can be a long job! I have been on good terms with a recycling centre or 'dump' as they were known then for around 20 years. It started by rolling up on my Harley Davidson to the delight of the guys that worked there at that time. They were all bikers and we got on well. All manner of items turned up too unbelievable to describe here. They knew I was in the trade and had a business in London. I used to repair all manner of items for them, TV receivers, radios, hi fi etc for their own use foc. We became great friends and I would buy tea and coffee, biscuits and the usual comforts of life!
Over the years I had first offer on every vintage item that came into the tip. The first rule is honesty. The guys that run tips know what items are worth and must not be taken for idiots. Pay a fair price for the items and don't complain if its junk when you get it home. Let the buyer beware! My vast collection mostly came from skips and the tip.
Around five years ago everything changed and the bin system was introduced resulting in a lot of interesting articles being thrown into the deep bins and lost for ever. Its difficult to salvage items and the only chance is to grab the owners before they cast the items to fragments. The contractors have changed over the years but with the advent of auction sites, most items are put aside and sold this way. I still have the odd gem from the tip but to be honest have more than enough items to last me the rest of my existance on this earth. The early tip days were great fun, You would not believe the items dumped, fine art and antiques. Regards, John.
Old 12th Nov 2007, 9:00 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

i have tried in my local freecycle (cambridge 10'000 in group) have not got anywhere
but there have been 2 come up which of course 1 missed
i always was lucky
vince
Old 12th Nov 2007, 9:33 pm   #5
Peter
Retired Dormant Member

HI

Well I use the auctions of house clearance. I put on £ 7 for any valve sets that come in. If I do not get it then I know who did , did not get it for a song. I've had lots that way. Last week I got a civilian Radio. Came up a treat.

Thanks Pete G4MRU
Closed Thread