UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2021, 7:49 pm   #1
spycatcher
Diode

Default Aerial attenuator?

Hi Guys, I'm quite new to amateur radio and have bought some 70's equipment i intend refurbishing in my retirement the item in the pic was with the rest of the gear and I'm not quite sure exactly what it is, i think its an aerial attenuator but not sure. i would appreciate any comments, cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial attenuator.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	236438  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 8:08 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Aerial attenuator?

Looks more like an aerial matching unit to me.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Jun 2021, 8:23 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

It's a variable inductor of a type called a "Roller-Coaster" and is used in aerial matching units on the outputs of transmitters. It's a medium sized one likely to be 20 to 50uH at the maximum end and suited to a transmitter of up to a few hundred watts, though the power depends on the ATU settings.

They're quite sought after. Good ones have silver plated wire and a silver plated contact wheel. Very good ones have a sintered metal contact block like yours.

It looks to have been made into a low power aerial tuning unit. Those transistor radio variable capacitors will limit the whole thing to a few watts.

David
Old 26th Jun 2021, 10:34 am   #4
spycatcher
Diode

Hi David, Thanks for the info. It came in a bundle with a Codar AT5 and power supply, a K.W. communications KW 204 and a Trio 9R-59DS receiver. Does it make sense that the modified inductor fits in with this rig?
Old 26th Jun 2021, 10:06 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spycatcher View Post
Hi David, Thanks for the info. It came in a bundle with a Codar AT5 and power supply, a K.W. communications KW 204 and a Trio 9R-59DS receiver. Does it make sense that the modified inductor fits in with this rig?
Not really, I think who ever built that ATU intended it for receive only. Even the AT5 at maybe 6W RF out would probably create a challenge for those miniature solid-dielectric VC's

The roller-coaster itself is a good one, I had the exact same one many years ago, and I no doubt bought it from one of the government surplus stores in and around Shudehill Manchester, but other than that, I can't tell you what original equipment it was made for.

By coincidence I have just re-discovered another roller-coaster in in the garage that is part of an original ATU of some kind, does anyone recognise it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1151.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	236516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1153.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	236517   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1152.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	236518  
Old 27th Jun 2021, 12:15 am   #6
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

This little poly VC's will handle up to 10W in most cases - although personally I don't think they should be used in any transmitting application.

As for is it an attenuator - definitely - if it is adjusted incorrectly.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 11:35 am   #7
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by spycatcher View Post
Hi, just so you know there is a very active KW group on groups.io, they have a lot of knowledge on the 204 if you need any assistance
Old 27th Jun 2021, 6:25 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The 'roller-coaster' looks rather like a 'tunable HF choke' that I came across in a few valve-based military transmitters late last century [RACAL cunningly combined the anode-choke and first-stage RF matching into one component!].

Polyvaricons - yes they can deal with 10 Watts or so of RF in a pi-tank ATU provided that the circulating currents [which get greater with higher impedance-matching ratios] are not too high. Wouldn't want to push a Polyvaricon beyond 10 Watts of RF, though we happily used 'close-spaced' 500+500pF broadcast-radio-type airspaced capacitors in the pi-net of two-6146-in-parallel linear amps on 80M and they never flashed-over...
Closed Thread