UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2021, 5:47 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Paxolin.

Having just picked up a catalogue from City Electrical Factors, I see that they supply paxolin sheet, which maybe of interest to other forum members. The sizes are: 1200mm x 600mm x 3mm and 1200mm x 600mm x 6mm. I don't know how their prices compare to any other potential suppliers, just thought that I'd let you know.

Dave
Old 20th May 2021, 11:22 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: paxolin

When you file it or saw it, it gives off a really distinctive smell which I know would take me right back to the early 60's .

B
Old 21st May 2021, 9:32 am   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Paxolin.

Paxolin is a long defunct brand name for Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper (SRBP). Tufnol is probably the best known current version. SRBP laminate sheet is available from a wide range of suppliers and comes in various grades & thicknesses.

Alan
Old 21st May 2021, 9:40 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I haven’t checked the price of City Electrical Factors sheets but at 1.2M x 0.6M (4Ft x 2Ft) I think they’ll be quite costly and larger than most of us would need.

I mostly use GFG Plastics in Hull.

I’ve had several sheets of SRBP from them in black and brown in various thicknesses and sizes, and Acetal rod too. Their main business is making water storage tanks for the caravan industry, but they also supply a wide range of plastics in sheet and rod including SRBP in a wide range of thicknesses at sizes which suit our needs. They don’t have a counter service so though they’re less than five miles from me, I have to order via their eBay shop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gfgplasticsltd

The other firm I’ve used and found good is Trent Plastics.
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:07 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

https://secure.presspahn.com/Cart/index.php

Lots of interesting products - different thicknesses of SRBP is only one of the things they do.

Craig
Old 22nd May 2021, 8:39 am   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Paxolin is a long defunct brand name for Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper (SRBP). Tufnol is probably the best known current version. SRBP laminate sheet is available from a wide range of suppliers and comes in various grades & thicknesses.

Alan
I seem to recall a horrible breed of Tufnol called 'Kite'. Always tried to avoid it as the edges always frayed if cut in a guilloteen!
Old 22nd May 2021, 9:50 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

There are three main types of Tufnol, namely, Whale’, ‘Carp’ and ‘Kite’, each of which has different characteristics - electrical insulation, gear making, etc. See:

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/tufnol-sheet
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:38 pm   #8
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
There are three main types of Tufnol, namely, Whale’, ‘Carp’ and ‘Kite’, each of which has different characteristics - electrical insulation, gear making, etc. See:

I am surprised that Tufnol is still around. These days I always use either rigid PVC or ABS.
Old 22nd May 2021, 2:41 pm   #9
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I'm not at all surprised that Tufnol is still around! Depending on the requirements, it can be far superior to PVC or ABS.

Andy
Old 22nd May 2021, 3:08 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

I am surprised that Tufnol is still around. These days I always use either rigid PVC or ABS.
It’s used extensively in industry and engineering in all sorts of applications. As I said earlier, as an electrical insulator and in gears for example (Tufnol gears don’t need lubrication). It’s approved for use in hostile environments Marine etc). Worth reading up on it:

https://www.tufnol.com/technical/tufnol-gears.aspx
Old 22nd May 2021, 7:15 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Paxolin = SRBP paper in a phenolic resin.

Tufnol is cloth, not paper, based and quite different stuff. It was a lot more expensive.

David
Old 22nd May 2021, 7:28 pm   #12
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Paxolin = SRBP paper in a phenolic resin.

Tufnol is cloth, not paper, based and quite different stuff. It was a lot more expensive.

David
Tufnol Kite is an SRBP product and is paper based.

Alan
Old 22nd May 2021, 7:48 pm   #13
pmmunro
Octode

The page in the CEF catalogue is linked below.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/prod...arch?q=Paxolin

It is Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper and each product page links on to a data sheet.

Another useful engineering plastic, high-density polyethylene, is good for making mounting boards for electrical equipment, for example onto walls too rough to allow direct mounting. The material can be cut, drilled and tapped as for metal and will not corrode or rot. The 6mm thickness is ideal for most purposes. It's available in most supermarkets but for some reason they call it "cutting board" or "chopping board".

PMM
Old 23rd May 2021, 1:18 am   #14
Refugee
Dekatron

The only problem with "chopping board" it that it is not UV hardened.
Old 23rd May 2021, 7:08 pm   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In times-past I've used a Tesco 'chopping-board' as the insulated base on which to mount a roller-coaster coil and 5Kv-rated 250pF capacitor in an ATU - it's happily survived a couple of hundred Watts of HF without showing any hint of breakdown.
Closed Thread