UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2021, 6:15 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Licence revision from OFCOM.

Just received the ofcom notice!

"The Decision means your licence has now been changed to include a requirement to comply with internationally recognised limits on EMF exposure."

Probably won't bother any more getting my G5RV re-erected after storm damage as the two ends terminate at the top of 2 boundary fences less than 2M above ground.

Tried their "EMF compliance flowchart" link contained within my email:
Result:
Home Page not found
Sorry. We can't find that page.

Doesn't bode well!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 19th May 2021 at 6:19 pm. Reason: more info
Old 19th May 2021, 7:11 pm   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: Licence revision from ofcom.

There's something very weird about the links in that email. None of them worked for me.

Hugh
Old 19th May 2021, 7:36 pm   #3
Malcolm T
Hexode

Can someone please explain to me in a nutshell what the heck is going on with this ofcom malarky.
It sounds like double talk and flim flam to me .
Old 19th May 2021, 7:49 pm   #4

Links not working here either, as to flim flam it is some form of "don't irradiate people too much". But prove it, well prove you have had a look at it and done some sums. I would re-erect your G5RV for receive "only" as we (amateurs) don't need to keep a log book, who will know, and I think there is a get out for infrequent transmissions too.

Old 19th May 2021, 7:52 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Not Ofcom alone. The FCC are up to the same thing. There's an article in the latest QST. I expect it's global.

David
Old 19th May 2021, 8:02 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Licence revision from OFCOM.

I cannot even open the XLXS file! It is a total nightmare and there should be a cheap meter we could buy to prove what is what.I am no good at complex maths and sure more are like me.
Are they really going to come and check us all?
Old 19th May 2021, 10:18 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

They will not check anything unless someone complains. Remember this is about having the right documents. No actual measuring is at all likely.

But did you notice that the RSGB managed to obtain a last minute concession? The rules are less onerous than originally published by OFCOM. The big change is that the 10W EIRP cut off now allows a 6 minute average to be used if the peak is under 100W EIRP.

(The RSGB were telling people that you used an average inspite of the draft regulations saying otherwise. Wishful publishing seems to have worked!)
Old 20th May 2021, 12:09 am   #8
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

From Southgate ARC,

For thos who have missed it.

Hope it helps.

http://southgatearc.org/news/2021/ma...conditions.htm
Old 20th May 2021, 6:49 am   #9
dsergeant
Octode

All the links in the email are horrible tracking ones, not really surprised they don't work. Most of the information can be found at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/emf

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 20th May 2021, 9:02 am   #10
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
I cannot even open the XLXS file! It is a total nightmare and there should be a cheap meter we could buy to prove what is what.I am no good at complex maths and sure more are like me.
Are they really going to come and check us all?
A couple of weeks ago I heard a net of British stations discussing the new regs. One person said that he was ahead of the game as he'd bought a meter to do just what you suggest. As he gave the meter type I looked it up and, among other uses, it can be used to detect ghosts, which about sums up the subject for me! BTW, that's ghosts as in white sheets and moaning, not reflections spoiling your TV reception.

I had trouble with a couple of the OFCOM links too, haven't checked today.

Roger
Old 20th May 2021, 9:06 am   #11
lesmw0sec
Octode

Frankly, I can't be bothered with it all. They can come and cart the kit away if they are really concerned...
Old 20th May 2021, 10:08 am   #12
kellys_eye
Octode

This is (basically) a self-regulatory ruling that for most operators (I suggest) will make little difference to the way they work unless they have antennas within a few metres of public access.

I can't imagine it being patrolled very rigorously unless some 'concerned individual' who also understands the rules/implications makes noises.

But I don't advocate ignoring the advice (who would) but it's only of real issue to high power operators (as I understand it).

I can't speak for everyone but QRPers (me) can simply make a statement in their logbook that they have read the regulation and comply with the rules. Anyone with an antenna greater than 3m from public access can similarly note in their logbook if you run under 100W (EIRP).

It's when you get to 1,000 watts that the distance becomes such that you'd run into potential problems as this gives a safe range of some 10m (at HF, reducing at VHF) which might affect those that don't have large gardens (mine is 1/4 mile from the nearest property and 25m from public access so, in theory, I'm 'safe' for unlimited operation).

The online (downloadable) calculator gives results to 2 decimal places but I very much doubt it is possible to police this issue to 1cm!!! nor would it be practical or necessary and you certainly won't need measuring equipment to comply.
Old 20th May 2021, 10:42 am   #13
AdrianH
Octode

For a while you only have to deal with above 110MHz so 2m 70cm etc, my TX satellite dish should be fun.

I would suggest that you need to do something and print it off and keep with your license and regs documents, I think that is what is on the Ofcom page.

It is not just the UK but Europe as well i believe, and is just about causing no harm, so basically doing a risk assessment and the RSGB spreadsheet will go a long way to help for many. The only problem I have with it is the fact it has protected sections which do not go well in Libre Office on Linux.

I was led to believe that the uwave group are doing work for dish users etc. This may well already be included within the RSGB one, just not tried it yet.

To bury ones head in the sand and ignore it would be in my view the wrong way to go, there is help out there.

Adrian
Old 20th May 2021, 10:49 am   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Perhaps the perfect tool, if the bulb lights up , then you are out of order!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210520_104105.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	234472  
Old 20th May 2021, 11:16 am   #15
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

LIke it or lump it, we're stuck with it, there must be a way to turn this to our advantage.

Sadly I'm one of those who will no longer be able to operate at normal vintage radio power levels from the main station address, the only compliant space looks like a six by five metre rectangle in the middle of the back yard, sufficient to park a trailer mast to get some compliance by using height. Still no long wires going from the building to the tree at the property boundary...

It also seems that I'll have to errect anti-tresspass fencing and signage....

I'm looking at the possiblility of mag-loops on masts attached to the back of the building, but I rather prefer discreete aerials.

I suspect many other operators may find themselves in a similar position.

It would be good to hear how other operators plan to stay out of trouble.

T

Last edited by Tyso_Bl; 20th May 2021 at 11:18 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th May 2021, 11:36 am   #16
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I think I will just operate at 10 watts or less and that will be it. I do have a 30 foot mast on a trailer , if I can get this blessed file to open and see what is required.

Other than that I will look at a few examples and try and use those.
Old 20th May 2021, 12:09 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just finally got in to the calculator and at 14Mhz I am fine, I await the update to include below 10Mhz.

Feeling a bit more cheerful now!
Old 20th May 2021, 1:27 pm   #18
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Before we all have kittens over this latest OfCom edict, it might be worth concentrating on page 5 of the “General Notice of Final Decision …” at

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...-variation.pdf

which reads:

a) We have confirmed that licensee’s will not need to carry out an EMF assessment and comply with the general public EMF limits if they (i) do not transmit at an average power higher than 10 Watts EIRP or 6.1 Watts ERP; and (ii) do not transmit at a peak power higher than 100 Watts EIRP or 61 Watts ERP. Where licensees do need to carry out an EMF assessment, we have also confirmed that they can take into account the average power of their equipment. We have explained this change in more detail in paragraphs A.1.67 – A.1.74 below.

I reckon that, by the time the 100 watts PEP out of the average transceiver (mine is a TS830S) makes it through the ATU, up the feeder and into the aerial (via assorted dodgy ‘baluns’) there is about 60 watts left that is available to leap off into space. Thus, all of us with run-of-the mill ‘barefoot’ transceivers are exempt.

Or am I mis-reading? Note the use of the Grocer's Apostrophe in the first line of a) above - if you can't write clearly then you can't think clearly . . .

Peter G3PIJ
Old 20th May 2021, 1:44 pm   #19
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Untracked URL links (that actually work):

Full details of our Final Decision

Guidance

EMF compliance flowchart

The others seem OK.
Old 20th May 2021, 1:52 pm   #20
G8BBZ
Pentode

Hi All,
I think this directive is aimed primarily at the mobilephone fraternity. With the ever increasing number of devices in use, the adoption of 4G and 5G standards etc. the network operators are moving towards very large numbers of cell sites, each serving a restricted area. In dense urban area this can mean a cell site ""on every street corner", often mounted fairly low down to restrict the coverage. You may remember the Dolphin Band 3 network of yesteryear which often had base stations mounted on shop fronts.
Although transmit powers are low, each cell site can be using multiple carriers and gain antennas at frequencies between 700MHz and 3400MHz, so ERP's can be quite high.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ