UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 3:13 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Icom IC-R6

https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/product/icom-ic-r6/

Looking at one of these possibly to purchase anyone had any experience as to there use and quality etc?
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 5:14 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Icom IC-R6

Had an IC-R5, the predecessor, for some years. It's always been fine.

Not much warning the batteries are about to go flat but as they are only 2xAA it's not a big deal. My only criticism I think.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:10 am   #3
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks for the heads up on my post the advice and feedback is very much appreciated. Yes I found this Radio to be quite a piece of kit at the price and rather than pay say 1/2 the cost and end up with something of half the performance I'm seriously getting sold on this fantastic radio with so many things to apply to so will not be long now before I settle down and decide to go for it, but its in serious considerations indeed.
Old 6th Mar 2021, 10:06 am   #4
HECTOR63
Banned

Okay so now have Icom IC-R6 a tad smaller than I thought but great little radio all the same. But the user guide is some what involved in terms of programming and wondered if the Cloning software disc or some thing similar would be a quicker way to get the full operating system into play for frequency searching etc? At least that way everything can be handled in a wider screen area and a lot quickest than all the pushes and taps required to make this operational reasonably quickly. Also an adaptor and advices on connection to maybe longer telescopic or small external Aerial for mobile operations and alike.
Old 6th Mar 2021, 12:16 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

I have an R5 and it's excellent, and the R6 is almost identical. But remember there's not much analogue stuff to eavesdrop on these days. I think I wrote a review of the R6 for a mag. I'll see if I can find it.
EDIT. It's Radio User April 2010, but it doesn't seem to be available on our favourite magazine site. If you want a copy I can send you one via e-mail. Just drop me a PM.

Last edited by Andrew2; 6th Mar 2021 at 12:23 pm.
Old 6th Mar 2021, 12:40 pm   #6
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks Andrew PM just posted
Old 6th Mar 2021, 1:16 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
Many thanks Andrew PM just posted
Article scanned and sent.
Old 6th Mar 2021, 2:00 pm   #8
HECTOR63
Banned

Super stuff Andrew - all noted and PM replied too alls good and great Article many thanks.
Old 6th Mar 2021, 3:40 pm   #9
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Had an IC-R5, the predecessor, for some years. It's always been fine.
Same here.
Annoying that it is not possible to pick up the audio from TV channels any more, that was a nice feature.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 12:52 pm   #10
HECTOR63
Banned

Update for PC program for IC-R6 as provided link from the superb Tim at Nevada Radio UK
https://www.butel.nl/products/arc6/arc6.html

I have downloaded and see how i get on but if anyone else wants to take a look and use give it a try if it helps
Closed Thread