UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2021, 9:12 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default 80M AM European net.

For those of you who are interested.... as well as the UK 3615KHz AM net there's a semi-regular European oldtimer AM net on 3600KHz featuring PA/PE/F/ON operators.

In the last few weeks I've had some nice early-evening chats with our near-European friends, using only 7.5W from my PRC320.

[I have local S9++ QRM/QRN burbler-issues here on 3615, which is frustrating]
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:56 am   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: 80M AM European net.

That's interesting. Is the net in English? I assume so, as most Europeans speak it so well don't they.

I wonder if the French are still doing AM nets down on 3.550 ��?

Aub
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 7:25 am   #3
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
For those of you who are interested.... as well as the UK 3615KHz AM net there's a semi-regular European oldtimer AM net on 3600KHz featuring PA/PE/F/ON operators.

In the last few weeks I've had some nice early-evening chats with our near-European friends, using only 7.5W from my PRC320.

[I have local S9++ QRM/QRN burbler-issues here on 3615, which is frustrating]
3705 kHz is popular with Dutch AM stations and activity by UK stations on 5317kHz has been increasing lately.

I've found the KIWI SDR on http://ixworthsdr.hopto.org:8073/ is quite good for AM on 80 and 60 metres during the daytime.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 2:33 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
In the last few weeks I've had some nice early-evening chats with our near-European friends, using only 7.5W from my PRC320. [I have local S9++ QRM/QRN burbler-issues here on 3615, which is frustrating]
What antenna are you using?

B
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 5:54 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My antenna is a 100-ish-foot-long end-fed; tuned using a big Redifon roller-coaster unit] on 80M, using an array of galvanised fence-spikes as ground. Works rather well!

The burblie on 3615 is annoying. It's not caused by anything in the house [I've powered the PRC320 from batteries and then turned off the incomer - the burbling continues unabated.]
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 6:03 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
That's interesting. Is the net in English? I assume so, as most Europeans speak it so well don't they.
Yes - it was in English; I find the Dutch in particular are probably Europe's most-multilingual - as befits a country with a long maritime/trading history.

I thought maybe the net I joined was somehow associated with VERON [the Netherlands equivalent of the RSGB] but I can't find anything about it on their website.

I don't speak any Dutch, alas - but I have schoolboy-French and my technical German is quite good!
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 7:11 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

I'm not a radio amateur myself, but I understand there used to be a regular 32-line NBTV net on 80 metres. So, listen out for that ancient televisual "rhythmic hum" sound.

Steve
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:28 pm   #8
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Yes - it was in English; I find the Dutch in particular are probably Europe's most-multilingual - as befits a country with a long maritime/trading history.

I thought maybe the net I joined was somehow associated with VERON [the Netherlands equivalent of the RSGB] but I can't find anything about it on their website.

I don't speak any Dutch, alas - but I have schoolboy-French and my technical German is quite good!
Surplus Radio Society? Very similar to VMARS.

https://www.pi4srs.nl/wp/

Scroll down to select language.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:30 pm   #9
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
I'm not a radio amateur myself, but I understand there used to be a regular 32-line NBTV net on 80 metres. So, listen out for that ancient televisual "rhythmic hum" sound.

Steve
http://www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk/
Closed Thread