UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2020, 10:40 am   #41
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Cheap PSU's and other gear.

So long as both items are from the same vendor, our local auction sometimes combines a lot which fails to gain a bid with the next lot, but always makes this clear before bidding commences. I wouldn't be impressed to be lumbered with an item for which I didn't bid.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:29 am   #42
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

They don't HAVE TO take it, but most do to help out fellow club members who give time freely to put on the junk sale and also to enter into the spirit of the auction. It is sometimes surprising that items given this way often generate interest from other people asking if they can have maybe one or two items from the free lot, and often then donating to club funds.
Rob
Old 8th Jan 2020, 8:14 pm   #43
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Very amusing, Rob!

I've heard back from Ramco, and for items up to 30kg and up to a certain size (I asked specifically about the PSUs) it's £15 inc. VAT per package to send with Parcelforce.

That might help any members tempted but not near Skegness, though competition might now increase...

Are there any of those PSUs that anyone can recommend as a general bench supply that isn't overly complicated for hobbyist use? I have no hard and fast requirements, except that I have no way of running 12V+ equipment or components except with their own PSUs. With valve stuff that's the first thing I'd check and then run with a lamp limiter, but a current limited supply would be very handy to have. I've seen someone say favourable things about the Weir models on here.

There are also some things that could be of interest to TV people - these Orion objects? Pattern Generators? Not my area...
Old 12th Jan 2020, 9:51 am   #44
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Well, didn't win anything on this auction, prices of items went up fast on the end day. Did anyone get anything?

Andy.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 12:32 pm   #45
gingpeakin
Hexode

I bid on a couple of bench supplies for a friend and a nice Tek 7D20. I'm sure there are machines bidding as most times I put and increased bid on it was outbid more or less immediately. It didn't help that I had to go out just before the end of the auction. I just have to console myself that these were the scrapped non-workers left over from a prvious sale...

Ging
Old 12th Jan 2020, 3:30 pm   #46
cmjones01
Nonode

In my experience, the way these auctions work is that basically no bidding takes place until bids are almost closed. It's best thought of as a 'live' auction that you can attend remotely.

When your bid gets immediately outbid, that's almost certainly because someone else placed a much higher bid earlier on, and the auction system simply takes the price up to the minimum amount above your bid that would allow the other bidder to win the auction. On the plus side, this means that if you bid £100 for an item and the next lowest bidder bid £80, you get it for £81.

Chris
Old 14th Jan 2020, 12:28 pm   #47
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Well, didn't win anything on this auction, prices of items went up fast on the end day. Did anyone get anything?

Andy.
I bought the Philips colour analyser, I've wanted one for years. Mind you, the price I actually paid was double the hammer price after they added commission, VAT and shipping. That's why I didn't bid on much!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 14th Jan 2020, 1:15 pm   #48
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I bought the GR1615A bridge, Sullivan ratio transformer and Tektronix 7D20. I was a bit taken aback when it turned out that I won all three because I thought I'd be outbid on at least on one or two.

Anyhow, Ramco pack and ship - and their charge for all three was £18.50, which given the physical size of the 1615A is very reasonable indeed.

So no need to drive and collect, unless you live less than around 75 miles from Ramco, getting them to ship is by far the best and cheapest way.

Anyway, they should turn up today.

The VAT after hammer plus buyer's premium is entirely normal, and just the way that VAT works. In fact the 15% premium charged by Ramco is quite reasonable. I won another lot very recently where the premium was 20%, then 20% VAT - so 44% higher than the hammer price.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 7:18 am   #49
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Glad a few members got some bits, hope they're not wrong un's.

Andy.