UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2006, 11:59 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default McMichael 471AC IFTs

I've just restored the IF gain on this set, which shows signs of having been drop-tested by its previous owner
The IFTs each have a pair of smooth dust iron tuning slugs mounted on the end of brass threaded rods with locknuts, which are screwed in and out for adjustment. I aligned this set, only to find when I turned the chassis on its side it went deaf This, of course, was due to two of the slugs having broken off their threaded rods.

It was possible to superglue one back together, but the second tuning slug was more badly damaged and wouldn't stick to its rod. So I stretched a piece of thin elastic band through the hole in the IFT coil and pushed the slug in, where it was held firm by the rubber band, but still movable. Reassembly and realignment - carefully, screwing the brass rod inwards and stopping as soon as possible after the peak - has produced a very sensitive receiver

I'd not come across this form of IFT before, and I think it was easier to repair than the more usual threaded slug type.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread