UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:59 pm   #141
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Eddystone 888A.

Hi Alan and the rest.... I bought the 770U..... which had that rotary coil pack assy... thats what I was referring to.... Then I Bought a 770Mk 2 which, as it happens I have just sold....but much more repairable.
No guys... that IT.... no more Eddy refurbs,,, and I am not that keen to pay silly money for a receiver I will only occasionally use....so the EA12 is safe from me.

Sorry Al your second bit.... B7G plugs... I had two, from a junk sale.... but I need another two...so a friend of mine is giving me two B9A plugs.... I already have one.. so it was stripped for the pins, two plates made from pcb material and drilled at the correct spacing and diameter..... just waiting for the other two on Weds night...
I tried Ebay and only B9A's available...
To make the plates I kept the copper on the substrate to mark the hole locations, drilled then removed the copper..simples..

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 5th Jan 2016, 12:16 am   #142
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Eddystone 888A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
. So I might not be representative in terms of irritation at reversed tuning. Why on Earth they had to do it that way?
David
Once, I did own an EA12: it came my way relatively cheaply because it was in such a sorry state. Eventually, I did manage to return it to a functional condition - and then promptly sold it. All that was a long time ago; much of the detailed memories have faded - but I did draw the conclusion that the reason for the 'reversed tuning' was significantly related to the frequency translation processes that it uses. Of course, I suppose it would have been easy to fit an auxiliary 1: 1 reversing gear, but perhaps on cost grounds, that might have been considered - and ruled out.
OTOH, (and to keep on topic), prior to that acquisition, I had been using an 888A (and a 730/4) for many years - and as we all know, the tuning on those radios (like many other comms. radios) goes L → R for LF → HF, so perhaps my brain had simply come to expect that system as de facto, similar to writing from left to right, as in the English Language.

Al.
Closed Thread