UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2014, 7:32 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Ambassador radiogram

I spotted a late 1930's or 40's radiogram in Sheffield in a house reclamation centre yesterday. It has an art deco look about it and treated woodworm! It has side opening units for records & it looked like walnut.
Seller asking £50. Anyone want a phone number or details?
Old 14th Nov 2014, 9:11 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Ambassador radiogram

Radiograms are really rather worthless - they're heavy/bulky and don't fit in with modern aesthetics.

Truth is, sellers are likely to be offered "I'll take-it-off-your-hands-for-£5" - and then plundered for any valuable valves/transformers/variable-capacitors and then the legacy woody carapace gets fed into a stove.
Old 14th Nov 2014, 9:53 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Unfortunately thats a fair assesment but I do have a number of Grams and I know others members also have Grams

Unless its something special £50 does sound a bit steep.

Finding the model and maker may help I only buy Cossor Grams these days.

Other collectors may be interested in other brands

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Nov 2014, 1:33 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

As has been said radiograms in general are not sort after but there are some notable exceptions.

Most radiograms are just an ordinary table radio chassis in a big box with a record deck of course, but 'grams with big amplifiers and/or genuine art deco cabinets can generate interest.

In about the early 1940s Ambassador made some PA amplifiers with a built in radio tuner designed to be used for entertainment in factories (models P142,P143,P145 & P146) but I can't find any evidence that they produced a gram with a big push-pull amplifier, or one with an art deco cabinet for that matter.

If you can get a picture, showing the cabinet and the record deck, it would help.
Old 16th Nov 2014, 3:34 pm   #5
Pete_kaye
Octode

I will go back with my camera soon.
Old 16th Nov 2014, 3:54 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

I think £50 is very optimistic
I have three radiograms, two from the mid thirties which cost me £10 and £20 respectively.
My 1961 Bush Stereogram cost all of £1!
It is a sad fact that these are generally unloved due to the amount of space they take up, but I have noticed recently that the more stylish ones seem to have no trouble finding buyers.

Mark
Closed Thread