UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2014, 11:51 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Where to get Aerial Mast Materials?

I want something to extend a 20' pole to at least 30'(or more). First guess would be simply to use aluminium tube, but wonder if there are better fibreglass options, and in either case, where to buy them?

B
Old 30th Sep 2014, 12:13 am   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Where to get Aerial Mast Materials?

Try a local TV aerial installation shop or a one-man mobile TV aerial business.

Al.
Old 30th Sep 2014, 9:26 am   #3
ex 2 Base
Heptode

A new or broken wind surfer mast will extend your existing 20 foot mast. There a multitude of sleeves on the market which are used on scaffolding. Many years ago I used Kee Clamps, available from builders merchants when I had two 20 foot scaffold poles end on, twice over for my antenna system. Kee clamps also have clamps with a disc attached which I used together with small shackles to secure stay wires. There are available clamps which will enable you to clamp together the two poles side by side up in the air or down below. Inverted, a mast will partly slide inside a scaffold tube, steel or aluminium.Ted
Old 30th Sep 2014, 9:27 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

I use https://www.metals4u.co.uk/
Old 30th Sep 2014, 11:17 am   #5
Aub
Nonode

I bought some fibre glass tube from a firm in the north west. Can't remember the name, but they advertise in Radcom. They sell it in a round or square section, 6 metres long. I'll dig my Radcom out later today and find out their details.

Cheers

Aub
Old 30th Sep 2014, 1:48 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Fibreglass windsurfer mast? Often available secondhand free from windsurfers (who are diligent about checking the mast for surface damage - if you've seen what happens when one of these explosively delaminates under full-load you'd know why!).

Also - look at the flexible poles used for "feather flags" or "swooper flags" - these are the vertical advertising banner things you often see outside car dealerships. They have either a telescopic fibreglass core, or the best ones have a multi-section stainless-steel structure with a whippy top-element.

A 5-metre stainless-steel one of these, along with the base that you fill with water to weight it, makes a brilliant portable 14MHz vertical antenna.

If you have a 'graphics' company [sort of place that does promotional banners, stickers for the sides of vans etc] nearby they might let you have a damaged one of these masts for free. I scavenged a damaged one from a showground's skip some years back.
Old 1st Oct 2014, 8:17 am   #7
Aub
Nonode

Ok. The firm I was referring to is:-

www.engineered-composites.co.uk They are in Chester - 01244 676000

Their contact is:-

e.barbara@engineered-composites.co.uk

I've had my fibreglass pole up since 2006. It's light and quiet compared with the multi-section aluminium one I had up before.

I've no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st Oct 2014, 5:45 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for those suggestions; I'll investigate.

B
Old 1st Oct 2014, 7:53 pm   #9

I used to use a high up dipole, not any more, too much QRM, one end was over the house. Now I use a rotatable Wellbrook loop for reception on HF spaced as far away from houses as I can, I get a very good signal to noise from that. And a simple 10m vertical (fishing pole) with an SGC auto tuner for transmit. The transmit antenna is a few metres from the loop an the loop copes without blowing up at 100W (Wellbrook said at least three metres). Probably cost as much as two masts etc..

Both quite unobtrusive too painted olive drab.

Closed Thread