UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2014, 3:15 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default PX4s galore!

Nope this is not a windup.

Today was viewing day at Standerwick auction (off the A36 Wiltshire) and there to my total disbelief were boxes and boxes of PX4's PX25's EL34s , KT66's and a myriad other valves all going as just a few lots.

There has obviously been a vintage workshop clear out and there are amplifiers there too.

Sales day is tomorrow (Wednesday) and the sale starts at 10am.

I have nowhere to put it all so good luck.

http://www.cooperandtanner.co.uk/Sale-Rooms.aspx
Old 11th Jun 2014, 3:22 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: PX4s galore!

Did anyone go?
Old 11th Jun 2014, 3:53 pm   #3
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I managed to get them to send me some pictures and the catalogue, but then could not get anyone to cover me in work

Looked a chaotic pile of junk, probably went for £1000s

Richard
Old 11th Jun 2014, 4:47 pm   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I went (I've just got back) and I met a few other familiar faces. I also saw quite a few other unfamiliar ones milling around the valves. The lots included a fair few home-brew amps with a fair few PX4s, PX25s and KT66s in. And there were some more of these in boxes. There was also a nice-ish Leak TL/12.1. There were lots of empty valve boxes though, and the stuff did look like it had sat in a garage or a shed for rather a long time. I didn't keep a tally but a single one of the thirteen 'radio' lots, as they were called, went for well over £1,000 and I'd estimate that all thirteen fetched a total of £5,000 or so, mostly paid by people I didn't recognise, some of whom were on phones. I think the 'radio' total might have been comparable with the total for everything else that had sold up to that point (500+ lots). The gasps from the crowd and, frankly, to some extent from the auctioneer, show that most people out there still have no idea at all what the market value of these things is.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 11th Jun 2014, 5:17 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

...which might lead the people to think that the unremarkable-looking radio set in their boxroom will earn them a holiday abroad.

At least it could save a few more radios from landfill though.
Old 11th Jun 2014, 5:32 pm   #6
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Fortunately a rather tired bakelite Cossor Melody Maker, which had been given pride of place on a shelf of its own just inside the door, had sold earlier for not very much. So the more perceptive members of the crowd might have realised there was more to this vintage electronics thing than meets the untrained eye .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 11th Jun 2014, 6:26 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A happy ending then, I suppose. At least they've not been dumped by someone who doesn't know better.

Nick.
Old 11th Jun 2014, 10:44 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

So we can just wait and see where they next turn up and for how much...

David
Old 12th Jul 2014, 2:20 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
...which might lead the people to think that the unremarkable-looking radio set in their boxroom will earn them a holiday abroad.
Well, I think that's been the case in some quarters for a long time. Many is the time - just out of curiosity - I've gone into a back street junk shop and asked the price of an oblong, louvred, ugly, late 50s 'plastic' cased wireless and been told, "Oh yes, that's a bakelite wireless and it's £80". They soon learn when no-one buys the stuff.
Old 31st Aug 2014, 3:03 am   #10
FrankB
Heptode

I see you folks have the same problems there as here with "Antique" shops over pricing old radios.
They look in the price guides for "working" status radios that are complete and seemingly add on another 50% for radios beaten, battered, and missing parts and knobs. (Like $95.00 for a what!? A 1960 clock radio with a broken case, missing the volume knob and all of the clock adj. knobs?!)

Sadly, here they never seem to learn that they are pricing themselves out of the market.
I know of one store with the same radio and price on it for over 10 years now. They won't negotiate down on it either.

OTOH, the best score I ever made was a 2nd hand store that had a $20.00 price on a Catalin radio. I had the radio paid for and out of there in a few minutes. ( Yes, Sir, may I please look at that one there? Well OK, I guess it might be one I would like).

I was chortling all the way home. (MINE! MINE! All MINE! ) Yes, it was a pretty common one with a chip in the case, but is now "My Precious". The only Catalin I have.
Closed Thread