UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2015, 10:17 pm   #1
Goldieoldie
Octode

Default Wire glue repairing pots etc

Hi all
In case you did not know there is this stuff called wire glue, Its available on ebay
It's basically very fine carbon suspended in a solvent
One use I've had is in repairing pots
On min and submin as used on transistor radios I've had a problem on some radios where the contact between the rivets and either end of the track go high
By painting a small dab over the rivet ( it's thin enough to go into the rivet ) it makes a good repair.To finish off you can cover it with superglue to give it some strength
Has anyone else found a use for this stuff ?
Hope this helps you !
Cheers,Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	103667  

Last edited by Goldieoldie; 3rd Feb 2015 at 10:23 pm. Reason: Upload pics
Old 5th Feb 2015, 1:31 pm   #2
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: Wire glue repairing pots etc

I have never seen this stuff I might give it a try. A few years ago I got some liquid conductive paint that repaired spectrum cables. Wire glue probably works similarly.

Regards, Robin.
Old 5th Feb 2015, 8:57 pm   #3
ionburn
Heptode

It reminds me of the silver conductive paint I bought a number of years ago (perhaps 30). So long that it may have solidified - I have just had a quick look and surprisingly found it inside a couple of minutes - and, although thick, is still liquid!
Old 6th Feb 2015, 11:20 am   #4
jon_the_id
Pentode

You can revive that silver conductive paint by adding some ether to it.
I found that some 'Easy Start' sprays for starting cars are ether, you can spray a little into the pot and the paint becomes thin again.
Old 6th Feb 2015, 3:22 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Would this work, and/or be cheaper than silver loaded paint, for repairing flaking metallised coatings on valves?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 6th Feb 2015, 7:16 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Useful to know - thanks Phil.
I've got half a pot of it, too thick for use.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 7:12 pm   #7
sp10mk11
Octode

Yes thanks for that, I have always relied on Conductive Silver Paint, this sounds like it will be easier to apply to small areas.

Gary
Old 8th Feb 2015, 9:04 pm   #8
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_the_id View Post
You can revive that silver conductive paint by adding some ether to it.
I found that some 'Easy Start' sprays for starting cars are ether, you can spray a little into the pot and the paint becomes thin again.
I wouldn't have thought so, presuming you are referring to diethyl ether. It was used as a general anaesthetic for some time and there are a good few cinematic scenarios of someone rendering another person unconscious by applying an ether-soaked cloth over their nose and mouth . Diethyl ether is also very, very inflammable. The term "ether" is applied to a class of chemical compounds, of which "diethyl ether" is just one. The other "ether" which I assume we are all familiar with is that which is supposed to propagate radio waves.
If you check on the label of Bradex Easy Start, you will find that it is "naphtha", which is better known as liquid lighter-fuel. Having said that, I bought a can of lighter fluid in "Poundland".
Colin (qualified research chemist).
Old 9th Feb 2015, 6:52 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

You used to be able to get "Ether" at chemists in a pint bottle. I presume it was Ethyl alcohol, as used in hospital's as a disinfectant. Used to work with the stuff, it makes you feel very odd after a time. AFAIK it is also used in model engines .

Wire glue would perhaps be good to stick down frayed tracks in wire wound pots.

Andy.
Old 9th Feb 2015, 6:03 pm   #10
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Wobble View Post
You used to be able to get "Ether" at chemists in a pint bottle. I presume it was Ethyl alcohol, as used in hospital's as a disinfectant. Used to work with the stuff, it makes you feel very odd after a time. AFAIK it is also used in model engines.
The problem with ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is that if it is drinkable without serious health risks, then duty is payable on it . That's why methylated spirit was used - the dye made it look bad, the methanol made it poisonous and the pyridine made it taste and smell bad. There was also "industrial methylated spirit", or IMS, which was clear and lacked the dye or pyridine, but still not a good idea to drink it, as it was denatured with methanol. That might be what you remember in pint bottles from the chemist. As far as I can recall from my days of making and flying diesel (not glow-plug) engine model aircraft, the fuel seemed to be largely diethyl ether, but with oil added to keep the engines lubricated. The diethyl ether vapour would ignite on compression with air. We were also rather naughty in putting this fuel behind lead slugs in our air-guns as kids; a bit more pokey!
Colin.
Old 19th Mar 2015, 4:24 am   #11
FrankB
Heptode

Back in the 20's , 30's , and 40's the service magazines here advertised a graphite based brush on material to "Repair noisy and defective carbon tracks in pots".
I have not seen it around anywhere here, but if oou can get it there, great.
I have talked to old techs that used it and they said it worked quite well.

Brake cleaner will dissolve most kinds of plastics or cause them to distort. Works great to clean greasy, groady metal stuff though.
Old 19th Mar 2015, 5:44 pm   #12
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Ether (of unspecified type, but presumably not the wave-propagating sort) is available via eBay. Doesn't mean that it's legal, of course!
Old 19th Mar 2015, 8:06 pm   #13
vidjoman
Dekatron

I still have a can of graphite spray that was used on T V back covers to reduce line time base interference. Spray a little into the lid and use a cocktail stick to apply. Also useful in repairing buttons on remote controls.
Closed Thread