UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2012, 10:30 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default And now in the original colour!

JK Rowling created the concept of 'The Room of Requirements'

I never knew I had one.

So I was wanting to solder an LDF4-50 N connector onto a length of LDF2-50 and went into the attic to look for the big 200W Weller, but I diverted myself and spent an hour browsing through a big box of valves. In it was a plastic bag with a lot of new, boxed bottles and I saw a pattern. 6SG7, 6H6, 6SG7, VR150/30, 6SG7, 6V6, 6SH7.... Yup a load of spares for my AR88.

I must have bought them long ago and forgotten. Easily done.

But then I found the treasure at the bottom. My old receiver belonged to the village pharmacist and he'd tried to clean it. Some of the tuning scales had come off with their writing. He'd sketched them back in... in biro!

Now this radio is an early one, all the scales are black on a translucent yellowy background.

What did I find in the bottom of the bag?

Two new tuning scales. Unused, sealed in polythene, unyellowed. Completely forgotten about, and it's the early version as well. Interesting to see the original colour. For reference the background in the photos is brilliant white emulsion

David (Smiling fit to bust!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88main.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	71148   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88logger.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	71149  
Old 5th Oct 2012, 10:01 am   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: And now in the original colour!

Wpw!

A welcome bit of hen's teeth. I wonder how many of these ended up as MoD/US DoD landfill?

You sometimes see slightly forlorn '88s where the generally yellowed dial has a much darker orangey patch that's'sat exposed to light through the panel window for yonks,

Colin.
Old 5th Oct 2012, 10:22 am   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Excellent find. Now the big choice, use them or hide them in a light proof bag

Andrew
Old 5th Oct 2012, 10:36 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would have thought a really good quality scan might be worthwhile.

Good find, well done!
Closed Thread