UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2005, 2:12 pm   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default Cleaning crackle-finish paint

Any suggestions for cleaning a black crackle finish panel?
My specific problem is that the panel looks rather old and also has what looks like a chalk mark on it. You can take it that I have tried the basics (detergent, white spirt, meths). The curious thing is that if I wet the panel with almost anything it looks jet-black and near perfect. On drying the wretched whitish marks reappear and the whole thing looks less black because of lightish ingrained dirt. I haven't tried too hard with abrasive cleaners because of not wanting to damage the surface finish, and anyway I think that anything sitting in the low-points of the crackle paint will not scrub off like that. I would prefer not to have to repaint it, partly because that's less original and partly because past experience with this kind of paint says it's hard to make a nice job of it.
Old 19th Sep 2005, 2:44 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning crackle-finish paint

It might be worth trying foaming cleaner, failing that Boot polish has a resonable effect! otherwise you can freshen crackle paint by applying a light coat of satin black aerosol paint.

Cheers
Sean
Old 19th Sep 2005, 3:19 pm   #3
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Ive used safeway bathroom foam mousse with great effect on an AVO mkII grey crackle finish case, the dirt just lifted away!!
Old 6th Oct 2005, 10:05 pm   #4
Bob13579
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Although it does not clean crackle finish paint I have found that a very light layer of WD-40 (sprayed onto a cloth and then wiped over the paint) gives a subtle sheen which seems to have the same effect as wetting it. I have an RCA AR-88 with black crackle paint which also had whitish marks on it but they disappeared after doing this. It might be worth trying this on a safe area first. I found this tip by a google search a few months ago.

regards
Bob
Old 7th Oct 2005, 9:32 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
very light layer of WD-40
Don't you find this a problem because dust will then stick to it?
Old 7th Oct 2005, 5:42 pm   #6
Bob13579
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

No I haven't - it is a very light sheen and has worked well for me.

regards
Bob
Old 7th Oct 2005, 8:44 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

Thanks for your suggestions. I have started trying the bath-cleaner idea and the early results are showing great promise. And if it doesn't fully do it I'll give the WD40 a go because it's clear that it looks better when wetted.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 3:37 am   #8
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

This is a rather late response but I had similar problems with my old communication receivers having grey looking black crackle paint. You can look up what I did in 'Reviving Black Crackle Paint" located in General Hints, page 2.
John.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 10:30 am   #9
GMB
Dekatron

I had seen that thread but as I said at the start I don't wan't to apply any paint.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 12:35 pm   #10
soundforger
Retired Dormant Member

This is not a windup, honest! Have you tried peanut butter? It works a treat on matt-black car door handles that have got polish on them, the oil acts as a lubricant and the ground-up nuts act as a mild abrasive. Try it.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 4:54 pm   #11
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

I tried the WD40 treatment and it does look good, though I am concerned that over the years the oil in the WD40 will polymerize and lock in the dirt that inevitably collects and you will be back to grey.
You should try the paint method on a scap piece of old black crackle. I have used it with excellent results on several communications receivers including a pair of shabby Hallicrafters S38's. When I sold them at a ham swap I had to explain that they were reconditioned and not just taken out of the factory cartons.
John.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 5:38 pm   #12
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
I am concerned that over the years the oil in the WD40 will polymerize and lock in the dirt that inevitably collects and you will be back to grey
... or soften the original paint.
I have to say that I have tried the above suggested bath cleaner solution with good results on my R4187.
Closed Thread