UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2009, 8:43 pm   #1
glowinganode
Octode

Default Megger movement repair

I recently bought an old fashioned hand cranked Megger insulation tester from a car bot sale for a couple of quid.
The movement was sticking, when I opened the case I found the gap in the magnets where the moving coil swings was full of iron filings.
I didnt want to dismantle the movement as I was worried this might affect the calibration.
In the end I used a very fine jewellers screwdriver approx 0.7mm diam with a sausage of blu-tak rolled around it. The sausage was rolled between my fingers so it was just small enough to fit in the gap. By rolling the screwdriver along the face of the magnets, the blu-tak picked up and removed the iron filings. It took an hour or so and a few sausages to remove all the filings, but now works perfectly.
Rob.