UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2004, 1:07 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Success with Waterslide transfers.

I have folowed the advice in the forum and successfully used transparent ink jet waterslide paper to make a transfer for the back of a 1938 Rola speaker. First, I scanned the old transfer on the speaker. Then I cleaned up the image (it took ages because it was pretty well shot) using photo editing software. The background to the original logo was gold, which I cannot print with an ink jet. I therefore removed the gold from the image, by filling the area with white. I then had an image with only the black and red lettering present, from which I made a new transfer. I masked the back of the speaker, having already resprayed the frame black, and sprayed the area for the transfer with gold. Finally, I put the transfer onto the gold area and it looks super. I will do the same with a 'Bush' cabinet logo which similarly had a gold background. Thanks to all for the info on waterslide paper. It is wonderful.
One hint - The instructions advise painting the area for the transfer with dilute PVA adhesive. I have found that it is necessary to add a trace of washing up liquid to the PVA to get it to wet the surface properly. I did this with a plastic model of Concorde, which has zillions of weeny transfers and they seem to have stuck very well.
Nigel
Old 24th Feb 2004, 1:26 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Success with Waterslide transfers.

Can you point me in the direction of the original info on waterslide transfers please?

Thanks, Ed Dinning
Old 25th Feb 2004, 10:40 pm   #3
Rod H
Triode

I am aware of at least two tracks on this general subject, both lodged under Radio Restoration Help, under the threads headed Maker Logo Transfer and Bush Logo. I think there may also be others buried away somewhere, but not sure where.

You might also find the following link of interest, covering the way I cracked my own particular problem:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~rahutchinson/hmvlogos.htm

Regards

Rod
Old 26th Feb 2004, 1:26 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Thanks Rod, very useful.
Ed
Old 26th Feb 2004, 7:07 pm   #5
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nigel,

Well done,
I will attempt your method when I get a chance and the paper.

I am currently refinishing a Bush AC 71, I presume your Bush has a similar logo,after a few attempts and jiggling with lights and flash I managed to get a reasonable close up photo,if it will help I'll send it, just ask.

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 27th Feb 2004, 10:42 am   #6
Ghostuser
Pentode

Dear Tony,
Thanks, but I scanned what was left of the original Bush Logo on my SW45 and have used the computer to make a version where what was gold is now transparent. The rest is red and black, both of which showed up very well against the gold background on the speaker. I just have to get the final finish on the cabinet and then I will give it a go.
Cheers
Nigel
Closed Thread