UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2020, 1:14 pm   #61
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Disinfecting components from China.

Perhaps the scare is an opportunity to attempt to find other suppliers not in China. Their record on industrial pollution and worker wellbeing is enough to make me think twice, in my hobbyists' capacity. Until a few weeks ago I didn't realise how common it is to order components and equipment from China on the individual scale. I realise certain industries are almost entirely represented by Chinese manufacturing now, but I buy from UK suppliers so at least there's some incentive to have these things stocked here.

Perhaps there's a lower risk of infection, too, as their stock will have been sitting for a while if it did originally come from far Cathay. Although, in Cornwall in February one is extremely unlikely to meet anyone from Devon, let alone another country!

While the intricacies of the morals and politics of the global economy are off topic for this forum, they are inseparable from any purchasing decision so always have some bearing and should be considered.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 2:28 pm   #62
fetteler
Octode

But, it should be borne in mind that there is no risk, none whatsoever of catching the disease through handling goods from China - hence worrying about Chinese goods is completely unnecessary.

I think we are suffering from a different affliction here in this discussion and it is called First World Syndrome. There's very little real threat to us from any quarter yet we search for ways to feel insecure. All a bit weird if you ask me.

Steve.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 4:46 pm   #63
AC/HL
Dekatron

The original premise of this thread, whilst a concern at the time, has now been thoroughly debunked from all sides. The other concerns aired are fundamental challenges for our society, and just as importantly, the rest of our shared world. We can only hope.
Closed Thread