UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 28th Nov 2023, 1:04 pm   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default R1082 Look-alike. (Australian type AR-14).

Hello all,
Has anyone come across a receiver that looks like a R1082 but has the following octal valves 1D8GT, 1P5GT (x2) and 1G6GT. These type numbers are printed on the chassis so are original and there are just four valves in it unlike the original R1082 that has five B4/5 pin valves.

As is frequently the case, a previous owner has removed the ID plate.

Any help welcome especially if anyone knows the receiver R number.

Alf
Alf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 6:02 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: R1082 Look-alike

Alf,
I have never heard of such a thing!
Some pictures would be very welcome, please.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 7:06 pm   #3
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi Andy,
Yes, OK will get a photo of it on Saturday which is our next open day at the museum. To all intents and purposes it looks the same as a normal RAF R1082. There are a couple of holes in the panel - one is in the position of the reaction control and the other is at the top but cant remember if that position was used for something in a 'Mk1' R1082.

Its when you remove the valve cover that I was very surprised to see 4 octal based valves. At first I thought it was the handiwork of an enterprising ham but then I noticed the valve type numbers printed on the chassis and there were only four valve base positions. The valves are marked with the RCA logo so I'm wondering if this was a Mk2 made in USA.

I do wish people would not remove ID plates. If they do remove them, then put them inside the unit so they can be refitted if required.

Alf
Old 28th Nov 2023, 8:48 pm   #4
Terry295
Tetrode

Hi Alf

The set may possibly be an Australian type AR-14. Take a look here:-

http://www.kurrajongradiomuseum.com.au/ar14.htm

There doesn't seem to be much about it on the web that I could find (but the "AR14" bit gets lots of hits on the weapon). An interesting find, good luck with your search

Regards Terry C (ZL4TC)
Terry295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 10:59 pm   #5
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi Terry,
Yes, that is it.
Well done Sherlock.

As you say having a number is a start and what's even better is the circuit diagram is pretty good. Some of the diagrams on that website are (or were) unreadable but this one is usable.

Many thanks for your help in solving the mystery.

Kind regards,
Alf
Old 28th Nov 2023, 11:11 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Fascinating, completely new to me!
I've heard of people deciding to sell an item, but keeping the ID plate as a 'souvenir'. I can only describe it as vandalism.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is offline   Reply With Quote