UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2022, 5:11 pm   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Grundig 3028 & similar models

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move as needed.
=========================================

So, I hope this may be of help to someone. I restore a lot of the large German receivers such as the 3028, although there are many models including radiograms that have the same chassis. Lovely performers as anyone who owns one will know.

I have recently had several of these chassis with VHF failure; usually just quiet but on one set it occasionally gave a very distorted, low level output. The front end is fairly common and built around an ECC85 mounted in a separate can. I attach a part schematic. Every time I have come across the fault, it has been C17, a 15pf feedback capacitor from pin 6 of the valve. Voltage tests on the valve won't help, as they broadly remain correct. What I have found is that the IF output shifts to around 15 - 17MHz, way off the expected 10.7MHz.

If you remove and test C17, it will appear fine, but test it at 100V and it turns into a 300K resistor. Replace with a good quality silver mica cap with adequate voltage rating and normal service will be restored.

Regards,
Adrian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_end.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	265706  
Old 6th Oct 2022, 5:23 pm   #2
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig 3028 & similar models

Thanks Adrian that's very useful information, fortunately all the ones I have worked on didn't exhibit this symptom. Just out of curiosity what type of capacitor is C17?

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 6th Oct 2022, 6:13 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

Thanks for that, must have taken some time to find that fault.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 6:17 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Another thanks Adrian ,that's one for my little black book Mick.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 8:00 pm   #5
agardiner
Octode

Peter - in the sets I have repaired, C17 was a low tolerance, tubular ceramic capacitor. I like to replace with a silver mica, as I have not then had to perform any realignment of the front end.

Stephen - first one took a little while to find, but actually not too long. My tool of choice is a frequency counter rather than a scope, and this instantly showed me the problem was in the front end, while also confirming that the oscillator was running but at the wrong frequency. After checking the voltages on the ECC85, C17 became prime suspect.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 9:21 pm   #6
Freya
Octode

The Grundig sets were a favourite of mine for a few years and have to say that several sets had faulty tubular ceramic capacitors dotted around in various roles. Only have the 5050w/3D and the 97A, which was great fun making a new clutch for the tuning.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 9:01 am   #7
agardiner
Octode

Yes, the tuning system is very clever, but when the clutch goes it is a pain! I keep in stock replacement clutch pads for them.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 12:27 pm   #8
Tim
Dekatron

I’ve done a couple of these and they are fine performers once those horrible blue or brown capacitors have been replaced. ISTR I had a faulty polystyrene capacitor in one of these, but can’t remember which cap.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 2:49 pm   #9
skodajag
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
The Grundig sets were a favourite of mine for a few years and have to say that several sets had faulty tubular ceramic capacitors dotted around in various roles. Only have the 5050w/3D and the 97A, which was great fun making a new clutch for the tuning.
What are the symptom/s if the clutch goes?
Old 7th Oct 2022, 2:52 pm   #10
agardiner
Octode

The tuning dial slips when turning on either VHF or AM or both. Usually VHF is the first to go. It is because the rubber has perished.
Old 10th Oct 2022, 9:33 pm   #11
murphy512
Pentode

I had a similar problem with a Grundig 2147 and it has taken me about 10 years of thinking to work it out.
After several attempts to fix it, I eventually changed C14 and C41 (I think it would be C10 on the 3028) and VHF came back to life and working almost as well as it did originally.
Old 10th Oct 2022, 9:55 pm   #12
murphy512
Pentode

[QUOTE=skodajag;1504369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
I also had this clutch problem with the 2147 and managed to slip in two cut out discs of sandpaper glued back to back and has been working fine for some years now.
Old 11th Oct 2022, 7:45 am   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

Great find thanks!
Old 11th Oct 2022, 10:50 am   #14
LyntonP
Hexode

I restored a 3028 late last year. I found someone had previously inserted a rubber tap washer into the tuning mechanism! After removal and some careful adjustment the tuning worked fine.
Recently the set has developed a fault of varying volume levels when on FM, but if it is left switched on it will eventually correct itself and work fine. Not had chance to put it back on the bench due to a resurgence of my interest in amateur radio.
Lynton