UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2020, 4:10 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Brenell Mk.5M Series 3 verses Mk. 5 Series 3

Reading the Brenell book I am not 100% clear on the technical differences between the Mk. 5M Series 3 and the Mk. 5 Series 3.

I believe the Mk. 5 Series 3 was the later machine and maybe the better machine.

David
Old 24th Oct 2020, 4:57 pm   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Brenell Mk.5M Series 3 verses Mk. 5 Series 3

The 'M' is the three head version.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 6:55 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

They were both available at the same time. The Mk5 was a switched amplifier between record or playback and the 5m has separate record and playback amplifiers And 3 heads which allowed off tape monitoring.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 8:26 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

'M' was generally held to indicate 'monitor' - ie: 3-head as standard. Meters had been available optionally for some time. The Mk.5M was no 'better' than the 'domestic' MK.5 - any betterment was psychological... likewise the number of twiddly knobs on an STB...!
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:03 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

I think the 5M was the first to use a Papst motor for the capstan drive. Later, probably on the STB all 3 were Papst. Not sure when the standard Mk5 changed motors.
The 5M was also the first fitted with Bogen heads.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 3:07 pm   #6
rontech
Heptode

My gold finish, black head cover had a Papst motor for capstan drive. Bought new in about april 1962.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 3:20 pm   #7
brenellic2000
Octode

The 'gold' Mk.5 (latterly Srs 1) had 4 phases: BTH 1103 spool + capstan; BTH 1103 spool + AEI 1303 capstan; AEI 1303 spool + capstan; all these had white head covers and different anti-flutter/tape tension brake. The final version had a Papst capstan and black head covers. All used Brenell's own heads.

The 'grey' Mk.5M (technically Srs 2 but never identifed as such - and the the Mk.5 grey 2-head was!) had Papst capstan and AEI 1303 spools motors; the 5M was the first with 3-heads as standard.

The Mk.5 Srs 2 and Srs3 were all Bogen; the Srs 3 all Papst... simples! The Srs 3 were hinge decked.

The STB1 was a superior Srs 2; the STB2 a superior Srs.3 - superior in having HSZ motors and often professional Bogen heads.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:04 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The STB1 & STB2 were stereo while the standard Mk. 5's were mono with a couple of special Mk. 5 stereo models.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 8:04 am   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

All Brenells from the Mk.II were stereo capable mechanically with capacity for 3 then 4 heads. Many enthusiasts dabbled with staggered stereo; indeed the early Mk.5 stereo was staggered stereo whereas the lesser 3-Star stereo used a stacked head; both employed an additional amp.

The STB differs mainly in its intended semi-professional/studio market in which it had limited success.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:02 am   #10
wd40addict
Octode

Barry, you've missed out the 'green' decks (the best looking IMHO). My Mk 5M has Papst capstan, AEI spooling motors and Bogen heads.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:53 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Barry, you've missed out the 'green' decks (the best looking IMHO). My Mk 5M has Papst capstan, AEI spooling motors and Bogen heads.
Same as the Mk5 that I had. It was one of the early Mk5's and had to wait some time for delivery. Not sure I would call it 'green' though - it was more of a metallic dark grey sprayed finish cover plate before they went to the light grey Rexine looking plastic coated metal cover plate. The sprayed cover was flat and the lettering looked good. Later with the plastic covered plate the lettering was not as nice and I thought a bit of a letdown for a quality product.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 10:19 am   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
Many enthusiasts dabbled with staggered stereo; indeed the early Mk.5 stereo was staggered stereo whereas the lesser 3-Star stereo used a stacked head; both employed an additional amp.
Was the additional amplifier an external amp ?

David
Old 26th Oct 2020, 10:27 am   #13
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
All Brenells from the Mk.II were stereo capable mechanically with capacity for 3 then 4 heads. Many enthusiasts dabbled with staggered stereo; indeed the early Mk.5 stereo was staggered stereo whereas the lesser 3-Star stereo used a stacked head; both employed an additional amp.

The STB differs mainly in its intended semi-professional/studio market in which it had limited success.
Ferrograph also had an add on amplifier for stereo operation.

Early EMI stereo recordings circa 1955 were made on staggered head machines.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 10:33 am   #14
brenellic2000
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post

As you know, the early 'gold' decks did not have a deck mask and showed all the spot-welding largely masked by hammered enamel paint. The first of the new improved Mk.5 series had a rare dove-grey enamelled/gilt trimmed mask which is to my mind is still the nicest; the metallic blue-green was introduced with the STB1. The hue was always changing. Deck masks are a pain... thankfully the Srs 3 used a hinged deck as did the Mk.6.

The rarest is the metallic blue-grey as seen on my Mk.510 stereo (see Brenelltape web site). The raison d'etre of this short lived factory option remains a mystery.
Closed Thread