UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2020, 10:36 pm   #21
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Re: Sony TC800

Thank you very much for that
Old 13th Oct 2020, 11:38 pm   #22
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
There are of course figure-of-8 chassis plugs with a built-in switch for exactly this purpose. I've not seen them in the catalogues (but I've not looked that hard), but you can possibly get one from a battery/mains radio or cassette recorder.
Another vote for this course of action. I did this last year with a sony portable reel to reel that had this proprietary connector.

You can find a fig. 8 panel mount socket with the eyelets/screw holes plus internal battery disconnection leaf switch on some old radio/cassette player form a boot sale or wherever. I just left the 12v lead insulated and disconnected (I suppose if you wanted you could fit a DC 'barrel' connector somewhere to keep the 12v option).

In my opinion it is far more likely that such machines will survive if this mod is done. Not only are they more usable but also less likey to have someone un-technical shove 240 volts into the wrong pins at some later date and blow it up.

Be sure to look at the circuit/schematic and/or trace the wires so you know exactly what goes where.
Old 14th Oct 2020, 12:26 am   #23
TIMTAPE
Octode

From memory I also left the 12v wires disconnected and insulated. I agree with Ben. These days with far better portable battery powered recorders available, tape machines will most likely be used indoors powered from mains and for digitising to make the old recordings accessible today. I have other battery powered portables. I've never fitted batteries.
Old 14th Oct 2020, 5:07 pm   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Easy to find loads of new figure of 8 chassis (IEC C8) mains connectors but not easy to track down a new figure of 8 chassis connector with integral battery disconnection switch, someone must sell them.

David
Old 18th Oct 2020, 7:59 pm   #25
ben
Dekatron

From my notes:
SONY TC800 PORTABLE R2R
-REPLACE SONY 4 PIN AC/DC CONNECTOR WITH SWITCHED FIG8 TYPE.
NOTE PINOUT:
2X WHITE WIRES: 240V IN
RED WIRE TOP OF DC SW AND ORANGE/BROWN TO OTHER PIN OF DC SW.
DISREGARD BLACK WIRE AS SKT NOT TO BE USED FOR 12V INPUT.
Closed Thread