UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2020, 3:12 pm   #1
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Default Dismantling a Murphy U198H

Murphy u198h removing the chassis. Apart from the usual screws holding the chassis to the cabinet, There is also the transformer coupled to the speaker, and of course the knobs. But is that the only three places that are preventing the thing from coming apart?......
Old 27th Sep 2020, 9:52 am   #2

Default Re: Dismantling a Murphy U198H

Are you just trying to remove the chassis from the case? If so then you only need to remove the two circled screws in the picture. I've also included a pic of the inside of the case with the chassis removed. In the second pic there are four screw holes around the edge of the speaker, but I've never seen one of these with the screws fitted.

Arthur

Old 27th Sep 2020, 10:23 am   #3
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Thanks for the advice, maybe if I look again things will be clearer. I'm relatively new to this pastime so if I'm not sure of something I'll ask. So once again thanks for the reply.

Peter (Horace)
Old 27th Sep 2020, 11:00 am   #4
paulsherwin

You need to remove the knobs. The chassis then slides out leaving the output transformer and speaker in place. There should be enough connecting wire in place to allow this to be done without needing to disconnect anything.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 1:22 pm   #5

Hi Peter

The U198s I've seen have the speaker mounted on the chassis - I've just checked mine and there is no sign of there ever having been screws in the four holes that correspond to the studs in the case in my second picture above. I do remember that the chassis was very tight in the slots it slides into - probably due to several decades of nicotine and dust! So just check there are no screws visible around the back of the speaker, and then just remove the two I circled and pull gently.
Arthur

Old 27th Sep 2020, 1:31 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Arthur is correct, I was confusing it with the U598 (the wooden cased version).
Old 29th Sep 2020, 3:15 pm   #7

One thing I really should have added - when you do remove the chassis, be very careful cleaning the back of the dial glass. The white paint they used for the wavelength markings is very easy to remove. My advice would be to blow the dust off and leave well alone (I brushed the dust off mine with a very fine paintbrush and even that removed some of the lettering which I then had to re-touch).

Arthur

Closed Thread