UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2020, 11:02 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai X-355 Initial Look At

I still need to revive my x355. A few things I recall:

-Lower the head cover when fast winding - these are very fast and you don't want to accelerate head wear!
- Don't even think of using anything thinner than LP tape.
- Always go via stop in any transport function change. No rotation sensors or logic here!
- The rec/pb pcbs have a rather ropey edge connector design prone to bad contacts and flexing. Likewise, the axial electrolytics here are likely way past their best -I replaced all mine and that improved the sound.
- The reverse mode engages a solenoid that shifts one of the heads up or down. Someone had fiddled with mine and last time I used this function it jammed and drew excess current through something, causing (I think) one of the rectifiers to go pop. Still need to look at this.

I cannot think of a more solidly built machine than this. Must weigh about 30 kg!
Keep us posted on how it comes along.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 11:33 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai X-355 Initial Look At

Thank you Ben for the various inputs.

Yes took a while to get used to lowering the head cover for fast winding and then remembering to raise it again to Play.

Would not use (intentionally anyway) any tape thinner than Long Play, the braking is very abrupt but works well.

Yes had read before about always going via Stop for tape transport operations.

Yes noticed that with PCB retaining bars removed that the boards are not the best of tight fits in their edge connectors.

Generally I do like doing complete electrolytic replacements unless they are proven/measured suspect, but may well initially do one Playback amp board to see if any improvement. Must also try the line outputs to see if sound any better though external amp. I guess the output/power amps may also need to be checked out as well in terms of capacitors.

Official weight is 28.5kg although when lifting it, it feels heavier, maybe I am getting weaker with age

David
Closed Thread