UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:09 pm   #1
Airdman
Diode

Default Unknown PYE, can anyone help please?

Hi,

I have been trying to identify the PYE radio I picked up, but not been able to confirm it. I thought it was a T60, but I think the chassis has been swapped for another model. I'd really appreciate some help as I've only just got into restoring these lovely valve radios. Can anyone out there help please?
Attached Files
File Type: zip PYE.zip (484.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:25 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown PYE, can anyone help please?

Well, it's an AC/DC set, which narrows the field, and I can only see three valves: T37 possibly?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_t37t_3.html

Veneering is different on that cabinet, but I've met one or two '30s Pye models in cabinets that weren't quite what might have been expected, not necessarily a sign that anything's been swapped after leaving the factory. I'd have a better idea of whether there are other possibilities if I knew where to find my copy of Radio Specifications and Prices 1935-40: there's also a fairly complete survey of '30s Pye sets running through some early editions of The Radiophile, but I'm not sure where those are hiding either.

Paul

EDIT: On second thoughts, the knobs on yours are noticeably closer than those of that illustration, probably too much closer to be accounted for by the catalogue image being an artist's impression rather than a photograph. Oh well.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 11:10 pm   #3
Airdman
Diode

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I have plans to refurbish it as a present for my father, 85 this year so it'll be nearly as old as him!

Phil
Old 25th Oct 2020, 8:54 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

T6 has the correct cabinet but is a battery set, so the T4 looks like a good bet, I cannot find a picture just the service data but the chassis layout looks the same.
Closed Thread