UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2022, 4:45 pm   #21
ruggb66
Diode

Default Re: Revox A77 record/play question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue man View Post
Remember with an A77 (certainly the Mk4) set to source monitor with the record buttons out channels I & II are reversed only coming the right way round once the record buttons are pushed.
I have no idea what you just said.
1. I don't know if I am dealing with an Mk4.
2. how do I "set to source monitor"
3. "with the record buttons out channels I & II are reversed only coming the right way round once the record buttons are pushed" == please interpret this for me == if you are referring to my comment about a swap, I am talking about the designations in the schematics in the service manual.

And, yes, I haven't quite figured out those record buttons.
I have the function on STEREO. Both record buttons IN. The input on AUX. The record levels set for 0 on the VU meters. I get what I originally posted.

Playback is the same as listening during record. Very little signal.
A prerecorded tape sounds fine.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 5:13 pm   #22
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Let's clarify! The Mk4 looks a bit different as it has silver and grey knobs rather than the dark grey/transparent ones on the earlier models. The 'Revox' badge is in blue. Quite a few differences, but mainly cosmetic.
The source/monitor referred to is the left hand rotary switch that switches between 'input' (source)and NAB or IEC (monitor). This differs on the Dolby version, but is basically similar.
The channel swap is a 'feature' on all A77s, as far as I know and won't have any bearing on the fault.

Your button assignment is correct for recording and should work.

Now you've given us a clue, I think. You say you have 0dB on the VUs. Now you should have that signal coming out of the headphones loud and clear as long as the switch I referred to is set on Input. I take it you don't? That points to the record amps, and as it's on both channels I think searching for the record switching voltage is the sensible thing to do.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 11:05 pm   #23
ruggb66
Diode

Thank you all for your help. This thing has been a total PITA. There were MANY things wrong with it. Every time I fixed something, another problem showed up.

One of them may have been bad tape, as cleaning heads multiple times made some things better. I have no clue as to what mfg tape it is.

At this point both record and playback appear to be working on both channels.

I have the RIFAs on order, and hopefully, that is a simple changeout and nothing else rears its ugly head and I won't have to come back for more advice.

Thanks all.
Closed Thread