UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2021, 9:42 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Building my own Tyne – style mains–isolated colour TV!

Hi!

Thanks to the kindness of a member who furnished me with a Tyne Service Manual scan, I am really intrigued by the circuits and propose to make a prototype "vintage "Tyne Style" TV from:–

a) Combined I.F. and varicap tuner panel, ideally S.A.W.F. as per the original Tyne design, but I'd be quite happy to use a discrete coil–type Bradford, Bush or GEC design as I have a Heathkit wobbly for Visual Alignment, Audio probably a CTV25 transistor circuit;

b) Four Chip Decoder (TBA560/540/990/530) design using parts from Pye or GEC s/s Chassis;

c) Line TB, TBA920, transistor driver and output Bush GEC or Pye;

d) Field T.B., Bush A823 or the Tyne TBA800/BD137 circuit;

e) Power supply, Thorn 3000/3500 adapted to give 135/150V as per original Berryvision/Tyne Circuits;

f) Convergence, Decca Bradford, GEC or ITT hybrid circuits;

g) Standard 4 channel varicap PB unit, one channel for the digibox, a second for a dvd player, third for my PM5518 to line it all up with!

h) The isolated Mains Transformer is something I shall be happy to chat to Ed about and commission him to make one if feasible!

Tube size, 20" or 22", any nice looking set with standard 4 button varicap unit.

Does any Member see any problems with this project?

(I would start with the I.F/Decoder PCBs and power supply first, as I can bench test these without incurring the vials of wrath from my friend lugging an old CTV in! Once I've got the I.F., Decoder and power supply PCBs working I will then be thinking about obtaining the TV to build the circuits into and design the Timebase, Line Output/EHT and Convergence PCBs!)

One final point, would I run into bother with Line Timebase radiation, or are the modern Digital/LED screen TVs immune from it? Obviously I fully appreciate this would affect l.w. or m.w. radio receivers that may happen to be in use of course!

Chris Williams

PS!

Is the delay provided by the Luminance Delay Line a standard length of time, or has a specific type tailored to the type of Decoder, RGB Matrixing & Output Circuit in use has to be employed?

Last edited by Chris55000; 8th Mar 2021 at 10:11 pm.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 9:49 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Building my own Tyne – style mains–isolated colour TV!

Hi Chris
I have a Tyne If panel somewhere I think it is fiberglass and has the audio Amp IC on it. You are very welcome to it for your project if it helps?
If you think it may do the trick I will dig it out.
I think I put a photo of it on the forum in the past when Tyne sets were being discussed before I will see if i can find the thread.
Rich.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 10:43 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

That was quick, I wasn't expecting anything to start me off so soon!

PM sent.

Chris Williams
Old 9th Mar 2021, 10:08 am   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

I've got a luminance and chroma delay line removed from a TDA560 type decoder plus an ITT chroma delay line and an unknown luminance delay line which you're welcome to have FOC.

Keith
Old 9th Mar 2021, 10:41 am   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Chris
I have found the Tyne panel . It isn't fiberglass, my mistake...
I have packed it and I will take it to the post office as soon as I can.
I hope it gets the project started. Good luck!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_092709.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	228712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_092659.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	228713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_092650.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	228714  
Old 9th Mar 2021, 2:07 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I think we'd all have favourite bits of TVs to make a sort of Frankenstein's monster!
To answer your question, luminance delay lines are all the same delay - or at least the ones we're talking about are.
I take it you're making a mid-Seventies solid state TV based on circuitry that was available then. For the line output stage I'd tend to pick a reliable transformer and work back from there. The Bush A823 springs to mind but uses twin output transistors so would need the balancing components as well. The GEC you mention had a pretty relaible LOPT and was one of the simplest output stages you could imagine, so might be a good choice.
Your choice of PSU is interesting, but I assume switch-modes that became ubiquitous are a bit too modern. I would shy away from thyristors though.
I must dig out my Tyne manual and watch your progress!
Old 9th Mar 2021, 2:16 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

I never got to see a Tyne set but I was curious at the time, please fill us all in on any progress, ta.
Old 9th Mar 2021, 3:24 pm   #8
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Yes, it will be a Mid-1970's design as faithful to Derek Tyne's circuits I'll be wanting to re-create!

I have never seen the Original Mullard Applications Booklets or Circuits for these ICs, if anyone can furnish me with a scan of these I would greatly appreciate it as I suspect there would have been coil winding details in these notes!

I will be having a go at designing my own "Tyne Style PCBs" as well on my Easy-PC software!

Chris Williams
Old 9th Mar 2021, 6:16 pm   #9

I think I get it but to clarify what is a Tyne? I assume they where good too.

Old 9th Mar 2021, 6:44 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

From memory the early dual standard/single standard sets had a 0.6uS luminance delay line.
The reason for the need is the narrower bandwidth the colour signal passes through as well as the extra circuits.
Presume there is not going to be a great change between sets, bandwidth considerations will be the same and the different type of extra circuits probably won’t make too much difference.

If the delay is incorrect it is easy to see.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 12:32 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

To answer post #9, Derek Tyne manufactured colour TVs in the early to mid-Seventies under the Tyne brand. They followed conventional circuitry of the era and were quite well made. Many were sold in Australia and there are some threads on here regarding them.
Reliabilty was average for the time. Another homebrew set was the Berryvision 510 that was less well received.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 1:34 pm   #12
toshiba tony
Heptode

Berryvision, a name from the past. I would rather have had a K70
Old 12th Mar 2021, 11:05 pm   #13
Samba1360
Triode

I was an apprentice TV Engineer in the late 70's at Ketts in Egham and remember Derick Tyne bringing in a couple of CTV's for us to look at with a view for Ketts to retail them, remember the chassis looked home made, Ketts in the end Didn't sell them. Tescos did sell them, remember them being advertised on TV.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 11:28 pm   #14
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

When I eventually get round to building my design it won't have the "home made chassis" as I don't have metalwork facilities, the likeliest method of assembly will be a stacked/side–by–side method of construction with the I.F./Decoder on the left hand side bottom, Timebase in the middle bottom, line output and scan on the right hand side bottom, and the psu on the r.h. cabinet side, with convergence on the l.h. cabinet side, above the mains transformer.

The usual aerial isolator module isn't needed if a double–wound isolated mains transformer is used, nor is the CRT Rimband but I propose to retain these as. they protect the input transistors from static voltages/extraneous voltages from half–live "digibox" s.m. PSU's, and a CRT Rimband isolator helps prevent charges from stray aquadag outer potentials causing nasty surprises!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Mar 2021, 10:59 am   #15
Restoration73
Nonode

Television magazine did a "bitza" design way back

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...UK-1974-03.pdf
Old 13th Mar 2021, 7:56 pm   #16
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Articles downloaded and now in my new "Tyne Style TV" ring binder!

I'll be making new I.F. and Decoder PCBs in a matching style and testing these first, then the Power Supply will come next, followed by the Timebases, Line scan Output/EHT, Convergence and CRT base, then the final steps will be obtaining the CRT, degaussing coils/shield, scan and convergence/blue lateral assemblies and commissioning Ed to wind me an isolated Mains transformer!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Mar 2021, 8:59 pm   #17
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Chris
There are a few colour set chassis for sale on ebay at the moment. Some delta gun ones from the same era as Tyne sets plus some later ones.
May be of use for some of the parts you require?
If you search for Philips K35 chassis and then look at the seller's other items you should find them.
Rich.
Old 14th Mar 2021, 10:41 am   #18
Tazman1966
Nonode

Part 2 of the make your "make your own colour television" is in this article

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...UK-1974-04.pdf
Closed Thread