UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2011, 10:30 pm   #1
RKnight
Triode

Default Sanyo VTC-5300

Good evening

I bought a Betamax Sanyo VTC-5300 second hand.
Sadly some damage occured during transit, dropped on it's side etc and the front panel came off, and the board with the tuning dials is snapped in half, I don't know what other damage occured.

Other than that it looks okay and I have given it a clean.

It will load a tape with no problems.

However when I press any tape button it starts and operates correctly for a second or so and then stops.
If I press play and then press pause, it will stay in pause mode but when pause is pressed again, it starts to play and then just stops. I don't know if there is a sensor failure or if other parts have been damaged.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this, or understands why it starts to play, rewind etc but stops seconds after pressing the button

Regards
Richard
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 11:32 pm   #2
1955APREN
Hexode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC-5300

Hi Richard
Does the tape tangle b4 the vcr stops if it does try cleaning the idler drive pully it is in the center of the supply spool and the take up spool and as a small belt that drives it , is the belt worn, if theses are ok remove the supply spool carfully remove the cir clip on the top, be carfully not damage the back tenision break clean the metal disk on the spool and the photo sensor on the pcb under the supply spool
Hope this will help regards Derrick
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 9:30 am   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

The fault of course could have been caused by the damage and not necessarily due to a fault.
If the reels turn and the drum is spinning before the machine shuts down, care fully look for cracks on the servo & syscon boards, check for broken cables from the reel sensors or other damage, once you have ruled out possible damage then it is time to look for a failure not due to damage.

The machine thinks there is no tape transport or perhaps no drum rotation, so although it could be sensors I would put my money on a cracked board.
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 9:44 am   #4
RKnight
Triode

Good advice, I couldn't leave it alone and came back to it late last night and found a hall sensor measuring the rotation of the counter.

The belt to this had snapped and with a replacement, the video now works with no issues at all!!

Not bad considering it was dropped (or whatever happened in the back of the van)

Regards

Richard
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 2:32 pm   #5
RKnight
Triode

I read about the VTC-5000 on a forum search and someone mentioned possible improvements/changes to improve the picture quality.

I wonder if any one knows these and if they would work on this model?

Regards
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 2:56 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The VTC5000 and the VTC5300/5400 are quite different recorders - both are the best survivors from the period, probably because unlike the Sonys they are basic no-nonsense machines. Of the two, the 5300 is arguably better in terms of picture quality so I wouln't suggest interfering with it. The most common problems are mechanical - motors, belts and so on, but hopefully yours sounds in good condition.
Glyn
Closed Thread