UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2022, 5:56 pm   #1
O M Llywelyn
Triode

Default Bush SRP-41 Output socket

I have recently bought a Bush SRP-41 with a "Monarch" deck. It has four sockets, two labeled - "Stereo Output", "Amp Input", and two labeled "Output to Tape Recorder" one with a "+" the other with "-".

I am wondering what these do, Is it possible to use headphones with this player? How would I go about connecting it to a tape recorder?
Old 9th May 2022, 7:43 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRP-41 Output socket

Well use the "output to tape recorder". What type of tape recorder are you to intent to use and what kind/type of input socket does it have? You will need to make up a lead where there are 2 conducting wires - one live = the + socket (red) and one for the earth (black) = - socket. The other end of the lead should have a suitably wired plug to match that on the recorder. There is no headphone provision on your record player.
Old 9th May 2022, 9:06 pm   #3
Gabe001
Octode

I'm familiar with the srp31, not the 41. I am presuming they're not too different, so hopefully none of what I've typed below is horribly wrong.

The top two sockets are standard co-ax, I believe female. So you can buy a male coax jack from B and Q and make your own cables easily.

The stereo output is used to attach an extension amp for this model - twice the fun

The amplifier input. You may need to plug the deck output into this (I'm not sure). You can also plug your phone or MP3 player or laptop or whatever but you'd need a coax to stereo male jack and join the left and right channels using 2 resistors (anything from 150-1000 ohms is fine) as the coax input is obviously mono.

The tape recorder output sockets I can't find a picture of. In theory it should be some kind of line level output. Maybe + is signal and - is ground. If they are 2 banana plug sockets they will take 3mm banana plugs which you can buy from e bay and wore up easily. I'm not sure if this will work with headphones and whether you'd be able to control the output volume using the volume control

Sorry I dont have all the answers, trying to work with pictures found online

Last edited by Gabe001; 9th May 2022 at 9:14 pm.
Old 10th May 2022, 9:54 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

There are several versions of the SRP41 with slightly different socket arrangements and amplifier circuits. The manufacturer's service data (available above, https://www.service-data.com/product...42/9428/m17042 ) should answer all of the questions.

Enjoy!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th May 2022, 12:51 pm   #5
O M Llywelyn
Triode

Thank you all for your help.

I assume the machine was intended to be used with an open-reel tape recorder, but I wonder if it can be used with a cassette recorder with the standard 3.5mm socket?

If so I could in theory use headphones by plugging them into the tape recorder with that plugged into the record player.
Old 10th May 2022, 12:55 pm   #6
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post

The tape recorder output sockets I can't find a picture of. In theory it should be some kind of line level output. Maybe + is signal and - is ground. If they are 2 banana plug sockets they will take 3mm banana plugs which you can buy from e bay and wore up easily. I'm not sure if this will work with headphones and whether you'd be able to control the output volume using the volume control
This. If it's a proper tape recorder output to allow recording then it should not be adjustable using the volume control, which means you'll get a fixed output.

Be careful trying this one - if it is fixed, it will be LOUD!
Old 10th May 2022, 1:20 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by O M Llywelyn View Post
Thank you all for your help.

I assume the machine was intended to be used with an open-reel tape recorder, but I wonder if it can be used with a cassette recorder with the standard 3.5mm socket?

If so I could in theory use headphones by plugging them into the tape recorder with that plugged into the record player.
As previously requested, we need to know what type of input socket do you have on your cassette recorder? It will either be DIN or RCA and unlikely to be 3.5mm. You could plug in your headphones to listen to the recorded cassette tape - that is, once it has been recorded onto the tape.
Old 10th May 2022, 1:48 pm   #8
Gabe001
Octode

Or you could use a pair of headphones with volume control built in. But yes, take care of your eardrums!
Old 16th May 2022, 9:55 am   #9
simpsons
Octode

Well, shiver my timbers! As I thought

The SRP41 and 31 have one thing in common. They original cartridge is MONO.

The SRP31 service data instructs those who wish to play stereo records to replace the cartridge. It also describes how to do it.

The coax plug/socket arrangement allows the player to either play stereo records with a Bush AU41 as the extra amplifier and loudspeaker which is needed for stereo reproduction or, by plugging in the coax lead, playing stereo records through the record player speaker only i.e. in Mono.

The tape recorder socket is not at a fixed "line out" level but, for the SRP41, is wired across the loudspeaker. This means that your record player volume and tone controls will make quite a difference to any recordings you make.

This is from ideal but suited the British public where European DIN standards, which made connecting amplifiers and tape recorders by a common DIN lead and which correctly matched the needs of the equipment, were largely unknown.

There are quite a number of posts on this site which address the topic of wiring stereo cartridges and tape recording both on the SRP41 and the earlier valve version, SRP31. Do have a look at them as the Bush record player as a stand alone unit is well regarded but users need a little help in today's world.

Chris
Old 16th May 2022, 7:59 pm   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Well, shiver my timbers! As I thought

The SRP41 and 31 have one thing in common. They original cartridge is MONO.
I don't think so. The SRP41 used the Sonotone 8T4A stereo cartridge.

Barry
Old 17th May 2022, 8:16 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, complete agree with this. I've never seen an original SRP41 that did not use other than the Stereo Sonotone 8T4A.
Old 17th May 2022, 8:51 am   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Yes, complete agree with this. I've never seen an original SRP41 that did not use other than the Stereo Sonotone 8T4A.

Too many negatives?

"Yes, completely agree with this. I've never seen an original SRP41 that did not use the Stereo Sonotone 8T4A." -Perhaps?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th May 2022, 9:03 am   #13
simpsons
Octode

Good on yer Audio 1950.

Whoops!

Having suggested that Mr Llywelwyn read earlier threads on his record player, I should have done the same.

Chris
Old 17th May 2022, 8:11 pm   #14
Chris R
Pentode

There were 3 versions of the SRP41 = Mk1, Mk1a and Mk2. They all used a stereo cartridge. As already mentioned, on the Mk1, the L/H channel from the cartridge is brought up to the Belling Lee coax socket on the control panel. The flying lead, when plugged in, brings the L/H channel to a common point with the R/H channel at the input of the amplifier, to give mono reproduction. If the flying lead is disconnected, a second amplifier can be plugged in to give the L/H channel, whilst the R/H uses the internal amplifier. The flying lead can also be used as an input to the internal amplifier.
On the Mk1a and Mk2, there are phono type switched sockets for input and output.
The manual mentions the tape recorder output as being low impedance and advises that, on the Mk2, the tape recorder lead's screen should be connected to the + socket.

Chris R
Old 17th May 2022, 10:15 pm   #15
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
There were 3 versions of the SRP41 = Mk1, Mk1a and Mk2. Chris R
Interesting info, Chris. How does one tell which is which, is it on a plate somewhere or do we need to go by serial number?
Old 18th May 2022, 10:22 am   #16
Chris R
Pentode

Good question Ben.

Further reading reveals that Mk1 serial numbers are 767/0001 to767/20600.
Mk1a Ser. No's 767/20601 onwards, Mk2 Ser. No's 823/0001 onwards.
The amplifier of the Mk1 and Mk1a uses a positive earth circuit, whilst the Mk2 uses a negative earth. That would explain the difference for the tape connection.

All versions of the SRP-41 give first class sound quality - in my opinion superior to that of the excellent SRP-31. This is partly due to the larger (8"x6") speaker, which provides better bass. The lack of a tweeter, as used in the SRP-31, does not seem apparent.

Chris R
Closed Thread