UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2018, 10:32 am   #21
Dave757
Heptode

Default Re: "High Frequency Therapeutic Apparatus".

Hi,

I remember back in the early 80s we had a local CB club net which
was regularly interfered with by a strong local carrier.
We organised a 'witch hunt' to locate the source of the carrier, and
it turned out to be a diathermy machine used to treat a young girl
a few streets away. Simple remedy - we just used a different channel!

Kind regards
Dave
Old 8th Oct 2018, 9:33 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

My late father was a Chartered Physiotherapist and our front room was his treatment room when I was very young, and was out of bounds for me and my sister.

He didn't as far as I know have a diathermy machine, but he did have an impressive console electro-therapy machine that delivered "faradism" (electric shocks) to his vict^H^H^H^Hpatients.

The thing that impressed me was the means by which the current was "surged".
Behind a glass door in the console was a flask of saline solution with an electrode, A second electrode was on a plunger that was rocked up and down in the flask by a motor-driven mechanism.

I don't think it caused any interference on the TV, my Hornby Dublo did that.

I did meet a diathermy machine many years later, when I was I was maintaining telephone systems. I was called out to a physiotherapy practice in a private residence and was asked to cure the woodpecker noises in the handsets of their Panasonic "A" series phone system. The machine was referred to as a "Megapulse", but it was clearly a pulsed SW Diathermy machine operating at 27MHz.

Diathermy with key clicks! I resisted any temptation to get involved and suggested they contact the manufacturer.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:18 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Here are a couple of shots of some of the hyperbole that was associated with short-wave therapeutic treatments in the 1930s.

Fascinating! Reminds me a lot of the promotional blurb associated with a bunch of currently-fashionable quack-medical 'therapies'.

As to the interference-generating ability of these sorts of things - yes there are often 'burblies' around 13.56 and 27.12MHz ISM frequencies when the bands are open: let's face it, if you're running a multi-Kilowatt self-excited power-oscillator with raw AC on the anodes and long floppy leads coupling it to a load of variable capacitance/RF-lossiness it's not going to be very frequency-stable, and the results could be heard worldwide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shortwave1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	170718   Click image for larger version

Name:	shortwave2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	170719  
Old 11th Oct 2018, 10:58 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The Placebo Experiment program with Dr Michael Moseley was repeated last night on BBC2. The most interesting aspect was that 45% of the subjects achieved relief from severe pain but ....everyone was on a Placebo pill! It was further demonstrated that many people have continued to take and improve with the pills DESPITE knowing it's a Placebo. Swallow that! The human mind is little understood but if you feel better, take it from me, you don't much care!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th Oct 2018 at 11:23 pm.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 5:48 am   #25
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Saw this yesterday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-B...index=148&t=0s which doesn't work on the same principle as the devices previously mentioned, but interesting non the less.

Andy.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:44 am   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
The Placebo Experiment program with Dr Michael Moseley was repeated last night on BBC2. The most interesting aspect was that 45% of the subjects achieved relief from severe pain but ....everyone was on a Placebo pill! It was further demonstrated that many people have continued to take and improve with the pills DESPITE knowing it's a Placebo. Swallow that! The human mind is little understood but if you feel better, take it from me, you don't much care!
No doubt there's some additional placebo-effect if the treatment is administered using what looks like complicated/magical technology - the glow in the 'violet ray' electrotherapy-machines of yore was there purely to impress the patient/victim.

I'm sure I could make a killing selling "New Placebo Extra - Double the healing-power of the Placebo you know and trust, now in one easy-to-swallow capsule. Placebo: all other medicines are tested against it!".
Old 12th Oct 2018, 9:58 am   #27
The Philpott
Dekatron

It's also surprising how much pain perception can be driven by anxiety- hence those with allergy to anaesthetics being given benzodiazepines instead with a measure of success.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 4:46 pm   #28
avocollector
Heptode

Had an intriguing if goulish thought -if you can use rf to cure glue could you also use it to coagulate blood inside someone
Old 19th Oct 2018, 5:57 pm   #29
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
Had an intriguing if goulish thought -if you can use rf to cure glue could you also use it to coagulate blood inside someone
All that RF does is generate heat. Heat increases rate of blood circulation, actually reducing the risk of blood clots. I guess that blood is rather different from glue.

Martin

P.S. Health warning: I'm not a medic.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 6:20 pm   #30
VT FUSE
Hexode

Indeed High Frequency (Rf) is used and does coagulate blood vessels.

Much Surgery requires rapid electrocoagulation of blood vessels in order to reduce loss and surgical shock, the process is known as Electrocautery & Electrosurgery.

RF Current is either unipolar or bipolar and often delivered via tweezers or forceps,also via diathermy knife.

You may wonder at possible risks? Once at the end of an operation,the surgical drapes were removed exposing the autoclavable rubber lead which had been lain across the patient's abdomen and this revealed an RF burn across the Gentlemans privates.

* I was not present when the Surgeon had to explain how this painful occurrence had taken place.
Closed Thread