UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2021, 6:12 pm   #41
Minster97
Pentode

Default Re: Pye black box no sound

Resistor numberings may be different to mine.I have had a guess that the anode resistors are those that run through the anode leads to the respective pins.
Pin 1 56K
Pin 6 224K
What I think may be resistor 13 is 21K,very strange as sometimes read negative resistance.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 7:10 pm   #42
Station X

Correct values are 47k, 220k and 27k. Check the colour codes.

Negative resistance reading suggests residual voltage in the circuit as a result of undischarged smoothing capacitors.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 7:40 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

V1b's anode (pin 1) resistor is 57k in the photo.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 10:09 pm   #44
barretter
Heptode

The leaflet you can find online for the Pye Black Box gives 57K as the value for the resistor on V1b's anode but a footnote says it can be anything from 47k to 68K.
Is it possible that the capacitor coupling the two halves of thr ECC83 is not coupling?
Old 25th Feb 2021, 10:20 pm   #45
Half a Mullard
Hexode

I'm happy to be corrected here but I think there should be 2 high stability resistors marked on the service sheet. I don't think the actual value is critical but they both should be (very near) the same value.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 1:16 am   #46
barretter
Heptode

Yes, there is another 57K resistorin the cathode circuit of V1b which is subject to the same footnote as the one in the anode circuit and, yes, it does say "high stability" .
Old 26th Feb 2021, 9:45 am   #47
Station X

I've obviously been looking at the wrong diagram, but I think it is only component values which differ. I agree that there are a pair of precision resistors in the phase splitter circuit, presumably to keep it "balanced"? However even if these resistors had drifted in value I'd still expect a buzz test to yield some output.

The grid voltages are strange too. There should be zero volts on the grid of the preamp stage and I'd have expected the grid voltage of the phase splitter stage to be closer to its cathode voltage.

A coupling capacitor might not be coupling, but I fear a lot of components could be changed and the player still wouldn't work. Perhaps something has been overlooked?

Old 26th Feb 2021, 10:15 am   #48
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Howard's point in Post#45 is correct. As mentioned before, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of the value and tolerance of the resistors in this this circuit. However, there appears to be no amplification at all as yet. Taking all these voltage readings may be of little point if some components have failed or are off value. It might be worthwhile for the OP to consider removing the amp (easy) and Posting this off to a Member familiar with this circuit and it's idiosyncracies?
Old 26th Feb 2021, 10:30 am   #49
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Taking all these voltage readings may be of little point if some components have failed or are off value.
I have to disagree. The point of taking voltage readings is to find out which components have failed or are off value. If that were not the case the manufacturer wouldn't have bothered putting typical voltage readings in the service sheet. You have to be able to trust the reading you're given though in order to interpret them.

As far as resistors go these are best checked in circuit by measuring their resistance, allowing for any shunting.

Old 26th Feb 2021, 11:33 am   #50
ms660
Dekatron

What's the voltage drop across V1b's cathode bias resistor (4.7k)?

Lawrence.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 12:26 pm   #51
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Graham is absolutely correct in his Post#49, but I perversely made this point because so many readings have been taken thus far that are way off from where they should be.
A more experienced restorer may be able to establish the electronic/physical issues by observation and thorough measurement.
Old 27th Feb 2021, 7:24 am   #52
Minster97
Pentode

Dear All,A number of you have mentioned a more experienced restorer ( this is my first restoration)If there is anyone available I would like to send it Any suggestions please?
Gary
Old 27th Feb 2021, 7:26 am   #53
Minster97
Pentode

Forgot to mention this tenth tag under the valve holder at right angles to the others which is not connected.Don’t know what this is
Old 27th Feb 2021, 7:58 am   #54
snowman_al
Octode

A picture would help...
Alan
Old 27th Feb 2021, 12:56 pm   #55
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minster97 View Post
Dear All,A number of you have mentioned a more experienced restorer ( this is my first restoration)If there is anyone available I would like to send it Any suggestions please?
Gary

Gary you have a PM
Old 28th Feb 2021, 8:23 pm   #56
Minster97
Pentode

Thank you All. I am sending it one of you who has kindly agreed to look at it for me .It would have been nice if I could have got it going but it is my first attempt and I have learned a great deal from you all. I hope my next attempt will be better
Old 1st Mar 2021, 9:10 am   #57
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Don't feel bad about it. As a first project, this was definately not easiest amplifier to start out on. Many experienced restorers struggle with this particular generation of Pye amplifiers!
Old 1st Mar 2021, 2:40 pm   #58
Station X

We look forward to seeing a full report from the repairer.

Old 1st Mar 2021, 4:09 pm   #59
Sideband
Dekatron

Depending on what I find wrong, I'll do a write-up of my findings and return any faulty components with the amplifier. What I could do is do a success story (assuming it IS a success)!! with details of the repair as I go. That way it's kept for reference.

These are not the easiest of amps to work on for a beginner. In their day they probably didn't give a lot of trouble but of course they are now well past their intended service life and they do suffer from a lot of problems, particularly the valveholders although why that is, I don't know since the same valveholders are (were) used in many other products at the time and still function well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the output transformer is OK

Last edited by Sideband; 1st Mar 2021 at 4:19 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 4:46 pm   #60
Sideband
Dekatron

Update:

I have now repaired the amplifier and it's on its way back to Gary.

I'll do a proper write-up as time permits but probably sufficient to give a brief summary for now, circuit refs taken from Pye manual:

R8 2.2M grid leak to ECC83 (pin 2) disconnected...difficult to see without moving other components....resoldered.

R10 4.7K cathode of ECC83 gone high to 7.7K replaced.

ECC83 low gain about half what it should be.

EL42 very low....less than half what it should be.

EL42 Low....about half what it should be

EZ41 Emission ok but shows leak between cathode and heater.

(valves checked with Avo two-panel tester)

Heater contact in EL42 holder intermittent....replaced.

Anode contact in EL42 valveholder broken, replaced.

Heater pins in EZ41 valveholder intermittent, replaced.

ECC83 valveholder showed leakage from anode to grid pin (causing low anode volts....there was about 1.75V positive on the grid). Replaced.

Volume and tone controls cleaned.

With a new set of valves, there is plenty of volume using my test signal source (Jason tuner) and it sounds very good through one of my bookshelf bass reflex test speakers.