UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:27 pm   #21
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: EPROM Programmer

Wow, what a cool looking bit of kit. Straight out of a spy movie.

Online copy of a SUPPLEMENT to the main manual here:-

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/pro-log...ment_Oct81.pdf

It does have the words 'PROM programmer' on the front panel, as we can see on the first page of the manual.

Volume 2 of the manual is here, but you have to sign up to read it all:

https://www.***********/document/513...sManVol2-Oct80

Still have not found volume 1.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:31 pm   #22
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post
Roger - that's very kind of you. Would it be possible to let me know the make/model (photos would be great if that's possible) so I can see if it will handle the EPROMs I want to burn?

Thanks very much.

Colin.

Quote:
Hi Colin,

I have an industrial type programmer that I "rescued", from the company I worked for at the time.

No way am I an expert on these but I recall it was used to copy and / or programme 32 Pin ? DIL chips for a burglar alarm panel.

It also comes with a UV Lamp kit.

At the mo it is in my loft but can dig out & take piccy's if needs be.

Happy to give away FOC noting the usual transport challenges given that it in a large suitcase.

Regards, Rog
Hi Colin, Just retried from loft .... surprised it did not melt in the heat of recent. Please see piccy's. I did promise the UV Lamp to Christian Fletcher but spotted a post noting he had obtained one from elsewhere. The unit was made in the USA & comes will all manuals & leads. Seriously heavy though so not ideal to post. Have some more piccy's if needs be, Rog
Last of the piccy's Colin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0043A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	262881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0044A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	262882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0045A.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	262883  
Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:33 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Ah, look down this page for all instances of 'PRO LOG M980'.

http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index...aneous/VARIOUS
Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:36 pm   #24
ScottishColin
Octode

My goodness - that looks like a thing of beauty. Thank for braving the heat and getting it out. The manual I can find seems to indicate it will cover 2532s

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/pro-log...hure_May81.pdf

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/pro-log...nual_Jun85.pdf

I'm in Scotland, so there's no way I can get to you to pick it up, nor do I have any relations in your neck of the woods. I'll understand if it's too difficult to post. If you do feel able to package/post it, I will of course cover all the costs and let you know how it goes once it's here.

Colin.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post
Roger - that's very kind of you. Would it be possible to let me know the make/model (photos would be great if that's possible) so I can see if it will handle the EPROMs I want to burn?

Thanks very much.

Colin.

Quote:
Hi Colin,

I have an industrial type programmer that I "rescued", from the company I worked for at the time.

No way am I an expert on these but I recall it was used to copy and / or programme 32 Pin ? DIL chips for a burglar alarm panel.

It also comes with a UV Lamp kit.

At the mo it is in my loft but can dig out & take piccy's if needs be.

Happy to give away FOC noting the usual transport challenges given that it in a large suitcase.

Regards, Rog
Hi Colin, Just retried from loft .... surprised it did not melt in the heat of recent. Please see piccy's. I did promise the UV Lamp to Christian Fletcher but spotted a post noting he had obtained one from elsewhere. The unit was made in the USA & comes will all manuals & leads. Seriously heavy though so not ideal to post. Have some more piccy's if needs be, Rog
Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:44 pm   #25
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Hi Colin,

I would need to weigh & investigate courier charges ? Not sure it it helps but we will be visiting daughter in Cullercoats North Shields next week (staying for two weeks) so could bring it with us. Rog
Old 15th Aug 2022, 7:49 pm   #26
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Ho, Hum, I live about 3 miles from there. I feel a trip to the borders or Edinburgh coming on. (If you can arrange direct carriage by courier etc that will obviously be simplest, but if not...).

If the 'personaility module' which is fitted is the 'PM9080' then the manual for that (under the link in #23) does mention 2532s.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 8:03 pm   #27
ScottishColin
Octode

I can see easily how to copy PROMs - how would I use a PC with this? Presumably using a serial interface and some simple terminal emulation software?

Sirius - I still have my eye on the Stag on the auction website; if this is more one for you, then the logistics look like they may work better?

Colin.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 8:07 pm   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Oh no! I'm not trying to hijack it.

I'm saying that I could ferry it onwards from here, if you aren't able to come up with a plan to have it couriered.

Come to think of it, SWMBO and I are heading up to Aviemore area in September. All you'd have to do is stand by the side of the A9 with your Baseball Mitts on.

It does look very 'hands on' in the sense that it is geared to keyboard entry of code or to copying code from an already existing master but it does look as though it can be driven by commands issued via an RS232 terminal instead, although don't take my word for it, read those manuals, which luckily have been preserved.

In some ways this is good, in fact this is the kind of standalone system TonyDuell was hinting at, as it does not appear to have support software which requires an entire working antique PC to run on. It's quite Hardcore, in fact.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 15th Aug 2022 at 8:16 pm.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 8:09 pm   #29
ScottishColin
Octode

A big mitt I think.

Let me think.

This does look awesome, but it also looks like the Stag might be easier for a novice like me. What do you think?

Colin.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 8:39 pm   #30
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't really want to sway you either way.

It sounds like you have a few days to decide whether to take up Roger Ramjet's kind offer and ask him to put it in the car when he comes up. If you want to go that way then I will be happy to park it here until September and bring it up past your way.

If RR is due to come up before the auction for the other unit ends and you miss out on it, then I dare say you could still negotiate to pay for RR's unit to be couriered directly from Leicester to Perth at a later date.

Read everything you can on this unit and the other unit, and make a more informed decision then.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 9:11 pm   #31
Mark1960
Octode

From a brief read of the brochure it seems to support RS232 from computer or paper tape, with intel hex format, so I think it will be easy to use with a usb to serial adapter without any special application on the pc. Its easy to convert from Motorola s-record to Intel hex format if needed.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 9:54 pm   #32
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Given time, you can also write your own 'front panel' in a PC programming language of your choice for a programmer like that because the whole of the RS232 communication format / syntax is known, whereas for typical next-gen parallel port programmers with PC 'front panel' software the communications protocol is usually proprietary / closed source, therefore you usually have no choice other than to find a way to run the original companion PC software.

In the case of the STAG programmers it looks as though someone has analysed the traffic going between the original support software and the programmer and reverse-engineered a version which still intentionally looks like the front end of the original DOS software, but runs on more modern OSes and can use USB-serial interfaces to talk to the RS232 serial ports on the STAG units.

However, I have not investigated this further.
Old 16th Aug 2022, 7:07 pm   #33
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Hi Colin & Sirius,
The two units weighs 15 kilo ! I could post or courier but not sure what cost would be ? It would also need protective packing which I don't have at the mo.

Happy to bring to Cullercoats next week (Monday night) ... whichever is best for you Colin.
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:04 am   #34
jjl
Octode

Blimey, the Stag PP39. I used many of these at work in the 1980s as well as the Elan E9A series.
I was offered a software development job at Elan Digital Systems in '85 which I declined as I wanted to work with robots instead.
I haven't programmed an EPROM since about 1991 and every professional project I've worked on since then has used Flash memory in place of EPROM.

John
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:19 am   #35
ScottishColin
Octode

15 kg is far too much to post I think, never mind how much packaging you'd have to find....

I'll let you know in the next day or two - it may be that it's not the device for me; the size will give my better half a small heart attack I think.

I'll be back in touch shortly.

Colin.

Quote:
Hi Colin & Sirius,
The two units weighs 15 kilo ! I could post or courier but not sure what cost would be ? It would also need protective packing which I don't have at the mo.

Happy to bring to Cullercoats next week (Monday night) ... whichever is best for you Colin.
Old 12th Sep 2022, 8:04 am   #36
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=194360

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread