UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2022, 4:24 pm   #1
Cracklemaster
Diode

Default Radiomobile CTR 101 “Remove to fit tape lead” sticker mystery solved

For years and years messing around with old British Leyland’s finest cars quite often fitted with a Radiomobile, you could nip down the local scrapyard and pick another next best model (the radio that is!) for a few pounds. That was 25 to 30 years ago, but in all that time most Radiomobile Radios made between the late 60s and through the 70s had the label on the back (see photo) “Remove to fit tape lead, see car tape recorder fitting instructions”. For years as a kid growing up in the early 90s and with no great experience of the internal workings of a radio, I often wondered what and how the connection was made. Pealing off the sticky label revealed nothing but a large oval hole in the radio’s external alloy chassis frame, opening the top cover there was no obvious connection to be made.

In recent times I’ve had to fit a Radiomobile to one of BLs creations - the Austin Allegro - as a period correct Radio and the ever present lebel on the rear of the set jogged the memory. I spent quite some time searching on the internet and no full answer came back, the best answer is here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ht=Radiomobile

In this article there are some fuzzy pictures and the model is not named plus how the equipment is set up.

I found a very old photo of the Radiomobile model CTR 101 from an American auction site - again it did not name the model, but the photo (see below) included all of the necessary auxiliary equipment required.

Essentially, it is not plug and play and requires an engineer to modify the radio and solder in a serial style fly lead to take audio in and out of the set as well as power, earth and shielding. This plugged in to a selectable separate auxiliary box with a switch to select from Tape or Radio. The Auxiliary box had a tape recorder
6 pin DIN fly lead to plug into the tape recorder. The front face of the auxiliary box had a 5 pin 240 degree Din socket to plug in a microphone for dictation.

The cassette recorder was designed to portable and had its own batteries. It was fitted under the dashboard with a quick release plate, when the 6 pin socket was fitted in the side it ran on the 12 volts provided by the radio via an uprated fuse of 2 amps.

You can listen to the radio, record from the radio, listen to a cassette via the radio or record with the microphone…

Fully service documents are available for the CTR 101.

I hope this will be useful to others that have often wondered…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4494DE0B-B37E-49CC-B556-F2812DF6E291.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	262776   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F3E1572-A18C-494B-B0F0-5710B0D31793.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	262777  
Old 15th Aug 2022, 9:00 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiomobile CTR 101 “Remove to fit tape lead” sticker mystery solved

Fairly quickly reading the modification instructions in the CTR 101 Service Data I cannot see any reference to fitting a connector into the oval hole under the sticky label, so does the hole serve any purpose ?

David
Old 15th Aug 2022, 12:09 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Radiomobile CTR 101 “Remove to fit tape lead” sticker mystery solved

I have recently seen (don't ask me where) the instructions for fitting. A kit was available which was a DIN socket on a short lead that went through the hole and had to be soldered to the circuit board.

Peter
Closed Thread