UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2022, 7:03 am   #1
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Valve disposal - recycling?

Over the years I have 'collected' a quantity of mainly faulty valves and ones that have no markings so I can't test them on the AVO. The problem is I would like to dispose of these in a responsible manner but for the life of me I can't find any information on this! Does anyone know where I can dispose of them?

The picture is a bit misleading as there are some large valves under all the smaller ones.

Mods I apologise if this is in the wrong section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Valves.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	263011  

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 18th Aug 2022, 8:05 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve disposal - recycling?

The problem is that they are mixed material - glass, metals, plated metal etc.

But waste cycling advice for old strip lights and old CFL ones that contain mercury is not to toss them in the general waste, but take them in a bag or box to your recycling centre. Strikes me as similar to the mixed metals content of old valves.

Craig
Old 18th Aug 2022, 8:22 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I think that's a specific process because of the mercury content, causing old flourescent tubes to be treated as hazardous waste. I rather suspect that they don't want the volume of material in that stream increasing by adding any non-hazardous stuff to it.

David
Old 18th Aug 2022, 5:44 pm   #4
woodchips
Octode

Valves are mostly just extra pure nickel, but I queried AWA in Harlow and they said they weren't worth the effort of recovering it, just too little.

Keep things like mercury out but otherwise just take to the local scrappy. Or just take the whole lot to the tidy tip.
Old 18th Aug 2022, 7:34 pm   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

As far as the unknown ones go Some valves can be identified by looking at the internals. For instance ECL82, 86. EL84. Ok I accept could be P E Or U but as valves are now a finite resource it seems a shame to destroy them, when they are gone they are gone forever.
Why not offer them here or if you attend a swap meet put them on the B&B ?
Known dud ones- ebay low price collection only? It may save you a trip to the tip ? even if they get "upcycled " Or Steampunked it's better than the bin.
Just a thought...
Rich
Old 19th Aug 2022, 8:40 am   #6
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Rich,

I agree you can probably guess by looking at the internals what the type is i.e double triode, triode pentode, pentode etc. but unless you actually know what the valve is it's not possible to establish if it's in spec and useful. For example an ECC82 looks pretty much much the same as an ECC83 but the parameters are very different as is an ECL82 vs an ECL86 etc.

What I'm more concerned about is there doesn't seem to be any way of disposing of faulty valves (given the materials inside them are hazardous) in a way that isn't damaging to the environment . I wonder what everyone who has a faulty valve does with it?

Until I can find a way of disposing of them then I guess the pile will just get larger as I pull more faulty valves from equipment.

Old 19th Aug 2022, 9:05 am   #7
AdrianH
Octode

Some valves may still have the etched code on them that can be decoded with the Philips factory valve code list.

As to hazardous materials in side them, to my mind are a lot less hazardous than modern silicon devices. The outside is glass, inside is a vacuum and the metal bits are just that, metal with some oxides. Granted some cold valves may have the odd radioactive particle but those would easily be determined and unless you had a mercury rectifiers in the pile to my mind valves are typically safe.

I wonder if there are glass blowers on here that could use the broken valve glass to make more valves?

Adrian
Old 19th Aug 2022, 8:18 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC58-Hythe View Post
Rich,

What I'm more concerned about is there doesn't seem to be any way of disposing of faulty valves (given the materials inside them are hazardous) in a way that isn't damaging to the environment . I wonder what everyone who has a faulty valve does with it?
Unfortunately that is the case with a lot of man made materials. With valves they were at least produced at a time when we weren't so environmentally 'aware'
But lots of stuff produced today is not easy to recycle and yet it is still produced, lots of plastic film and electric C** batteries to name a couple of the most worrying! it seems you have two choices find a home one way or another or "don't worry about it" and dispose of them! Put them in the light bulb recycle bin and let the recyclers decide! A friend used to work at the sorting centre in Peterborough you should see what some people "recycle"
She had everything from a WWII belt of machine gun bullets, nappies. dead cats...
Old 19th Aug 2022, 11:39 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

You could try and toss them in with scrap iron (though the nickel content would theoretically place them nearer to some stainless steel grade, but it's probably too mixed). Metal recyclers could advise on this as well.

Also, known duds could still be used to make art. I've see that sometimes.

As said, the Philips/Mullard family of factories, used small codes printed in a more durable ink stamped directly after production. It can be wiped away but is usually much harder to wipe away than the normal brand and type print. Maybe some of the valves can be tested and reused for their original purpose.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 1:32 am   #10
fetteler
Octode

Forgive my ignorance but are the materials used in a valve particularly hazardous? Aren't they made of just various metals and glass?

Mercury rectifiers and such are exceptions but these are not 'everyday' valves.

Steve.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 1:39 am   #11
retailer
Heptode

I had a similar 'problem' so I advertised them as a giveaway (free) on Gumtree two uni student girls took them for their steampunk creations.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 8:41 am   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

99% of those valves will be instantly recognizable. There are some very useful ones in your picture. Don't dump! John.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 10:04 am   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I agree with John, so many are instantly recognisable with the exception of E, P, U eg 84, *CL82 but very easily known by the heater resistance.
I'd take the lot for the price of postage and proper packing.

PS. When I get the odd dud it gets fired in the bin which I've done for nearly 60 years, IMHO there is no point in keeping duds which then becomes a problem when you've got boxes of useless valves to dispose of.
Old 21st Aug 2022, 9:57 am   #14
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Just to clarify about 80% of that box are tested and they are faulty, the rest have indistinguishable markings. I think I'll advertise them for free on Gumtree locally and see if I get any interest.

Old 21st Aug 2022, 10:31 am   #15
slidertogrid
Octode

I hate to see vintage stuff ruined by "upcycling" etc we have all seen the bulb holder screwed to a "steampunk" AVO I'm sure. But if the thing is otherwise useless like these valves why not give it a chance with a second life?
I recently saw a large conrod polished and fitted with a period clock in the big end and a small room temperature gauge or barometer in the little end, it looked good and was much better than chucking it in the scrap bin.

Years ago I saw a diorama of a 'futuristic city' in Harrods it was made of the internals of valves, electronic parts, bits of video recorders etc (presumably faulty parts removed during repairs as video recorders were still very current at the time) it all looked very professional and well made with working monorail and chair lifts. A real work of art. Admittedly it would probably be considered 'tacky' today. I seem to remember it had a Harrods price attached as well! The artist would take commissions depending on what size etc you required. I wish I had taken a picture but that was before I had a camera on my phone!
I am glad the valves will hopefully see further use it all helps the planet!
Closed Thread