UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2023, 5:47 pm   #1
112stereo
Pentode

Default Vintage record decks with phono-amps?

Can any one tell me which vintage record decks have a built in pre- amp please.
I an looking for a old record deck that has a built in pre-amp for an aging friend who has a old amplifier valve with only a auxiliary input.
He had a sony deck but got damaged by a flood and really wants a replacement.
I had thought about adding a pre- amp to one of mine but don't think he can cope with the extra connections, and would much rather have something built in.
If any one has any ideas I am all ears.
Old 29th May 2023, 9:35 pm   #2
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: Phono-amps

Does it have to be vintage? There is a good choice of modern turntables with MM cartridges with a built in phono stage that should work with his setup

The one that gets the best reviews is the Rega Planar 1 Plus, but there are some good audio technica offerings too. They are relatively pricey though, but the same can be said of most reputable vintage turntables anyway.

I don't know of any vintage turntables with an in built phono stage, but I'm sure someone will know of a few.
Old 29th May 2023, 9:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I agree. I don't know of any vintage decks with built in preamps, as amps from the 60s to the 80s almost always had a built in RIAA phono stage. They only started to appear in the late 80s, as amps started to appear without a mag cartridge input as CDs became dominant.
Old 29th May 2023, 9:53 pm   #4
Trevor
Octode

B+O had a nice deck with built in phono amp
Old 29th May 2023, 10:01 pm   #5
paulsherwin

There was quite a decent mini-deck with a preamp branded as a Bush about 20 years ago.
Old 29th May 2023, 10:03 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

I have fitted a phono pre-amp inside the plinth of a turntable, I've even fitted them to the deck itself.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 29th May 2023, 10:07 pm   #7
Sergeauckland
Pentode

My EMT and AEG turntables both have phono stages built-in, but they're hardly 'normal' domestic units. Of current products, the Audio Technica would be a good choice as something very usable and domestically acceptable.

S
Old 30th May 2023, 7:41 am   #8
FIXITNOW
Octode

Sony and Aiwa did decks with a switchable Riaa pre-amp if needed built in, to go with there midi systems
Old 30th May 2023, 7:46 am   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

In the 1960s, Goldring sold a little unit to go in a plinth or cabinet - VV7, I think. It was a two transistor preamplifier with a mans supply built in, designed for this exact purpose.
Old 30th May 2023, 9:47 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage record decks with phono-amps?

I would just look for one of those 1970s record players with a built in amp, like this . They're simplicity itself to use and can still be found fairly cheaply. You can perhaps use his existing speakers.
Old 30th May 2023, 10:28 am   #11
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I would just look for one of those 1970s record players with a built in amp, like this . They're simplicity itself to use and can still be found fairly cheaply. You can perhaps use his existing speakers.
The downsides of those is that the turntable and cartridge are generally awful. The horrors of the SP25 or MP60 still give me cold sweats.

A modern AT turntable with built-in phono stage is a lot better.

S
Old 30th May 2023, 11:32 am   #12
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
Quote:
The downsides of those is that the turntable and cartridge are generally awful. The horrors of the SP25 or MP60 still give me cold sweats.

S
They're perfectly fine for casual listening, especially if serviced and calibrated so you don't get a lot of rumble or hiss. Better in fact than modern plastic stuff. It's easy to be snobbish and dismiss such equipment, but once you've heard what a good example can do, you might just be surprised. I know I have been over the years.
Old 30th May 2023, 5:01 pm   #13
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
Quote:

S
They're perfectly fine for casual listening, especially if serviced and calibrated so you don't get a lot of rumble or hiss. Better in fact than modern plastic stuff. It's easy to be snobbish and dismiss such equipment, but once you've heard what a good example can do, you might just be surprised. I know I have been over the years.
I agree these types of turntable can be made to give OK performance, but the servicing and setting up is what makes them uneconomic. I've serviced enough of them to know that arm vertical bearings are often damaged due to the unit being transported with the counterweight still on, idler wheels with flats due to power being disconnected with the turntable not properly switched off first, motor rumble due to any rubber mounts now having perished, dried on grease on turntable bearings and arm lifts, such that by the time all those things have been fixed, one still ends up with turntable that is still not as good as a modern AT or similar. The better sort of vintage turntables like the Garrard 301 / 401, various Thorens, Aristons etc can be as good as anything made today and are well worth restoring, but I question the value of the cheaper sort unless being done for fun rather than serious use.

S.
Old 30th May 2023, 5:28 pm   #14
Beobloke
Heptode

You really can’t go wrong with a Panasonic SL-N5.

It looks like a silly midi system thing (especially in red) but is ridiculously capable for the £30 or so one will cost you. The replacement stylus is about £10 if you need one, and the built-in phono preamp is switchable and perfectly decent. Heck, it’s even fully automatic!

P.S. - Hi Serge! Long time no speak.
Old 30th May 2023, 11:22 pm   #15
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
In the 1960s, Goldring sold a little unit to go in a plinth or cabinet - VV7, I think. It was a two transistor preamplifier with a mans supply built in, designed for this exact purpose.
It was the VV7 and it was still available in 1971 according to the Henry's catalogue for the sum of £9.98. However, on the same page, there was one from Eagle International (also mains powered) for only £3.80.
Old 30th May 2023, 11:23 pm   #16
Trevor
Octode

Oh yes I remember both units and fitted many an eagle pre-amp
Trev
Old 3rd Jun 2023, 3:58 pm   #17
112stereo
Pentode

Thank you all so much, what a lot of choice.
I will need to talk to my friend and see what his budget will run to.
Closed Thread