UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 31st Oct 2023, 3:34 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Gould 4074 Dented rear Panel!

Does anyone know how I can straighten this dented Back Panel of a Gould 4074 Oscilloscope please?

(I put this one in our spare room three years ago because there was a burning smell coming from it, and forgot about it – it was only when I got out the big 545A and a 465 to take to Jez in Northumberland it cane to light, hidden at the back of the room!)

This is obviously careless courier damage from being dropped on its back end me thinks!

Having got it out, I'm trying to put all the mechanicals to rights mainly – it powers up OK and passes self–test/self–calibration OK – all the alphanumerics are undistorted, sharply focused and evenly spaced on the screen, so the CRT has survived OK!

This is why I have put in several 4074 related requests for parts, by the way!

Chris Williams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231031_143206252.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	287181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231031_143226212.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	287182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231031_143226045.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	287183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231031_143222214.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	287184  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 8:14 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Gould 4074 Dented rear Panel!

I can't see exactly what's happened in your pictures, but I've had a few things like this and I find that a couple of blocks of wood and a big hammer soon sorts it out - preferably done outside on a hard surface when it's not raining!
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2023, 9:04 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

It would normally be dead easy if it wasn't for the fact that Gould welded the fixing posts for the rear rubber blocks to the panel, meaning that its difficult to get a purchase on the face with a hammer, unless you make a special jig that the posts can drop into, and I don't have a Workmate that would help with this!

Chris Williams
Old 1st Nov 2023, 12:22 am   #4
peterpixel
Pentode

Hi Chris,if the fixing posts are the black projections shown in picture #1 then I would invert the panel and insert the posts loosely into a heavy bench vice and then apply the required percussion treatment. If the vice jaws are not substantial enough then the careful application of pieces of right angle steel to enlarge the bulk of the jaws should help. I once repaired a Sony BVU 110 chassis that had been jumped on during the street riots in the 1980s using the same method. That was aluminium but the principal is the same, it just needs a bigger hammer. Best regards, Peter.
peterpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2023, 5:48 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Be careful of too much percussive therapy, it stretches the metal and you wind up making more surface area than the periphery used to contain, making a domed panel or irreducible bumps. Going at it with a 'shrinking hammer' and dolly would wreck paintwork and labelling. What I've done in the past is to make hardwood tooling for both sides and pressed things back to shape with a big vice. Leaving it a long time to creep to shape.

I bought a really nice Sony FM tuner from the offered section on here. It suffered a bad drop in the hands of some couriers, shoving the tuning knob in about 20mm by bending internal framing. It took panel beating work (and firing up the TIG to fix cracks), but I got it there. There had been no cosmetic damage to the case or the knob. A bit of stiffening was added to stop the framing flexing when push buttons were operated.

Re-flattening an exposed panel is never going to be perfect. Making tooling is the easy option!

David
Old 1st Nov 2023, 10:58 am   #6
Station X

Faced with that I'd put suitable packing under the outside and apply pressure from an hydraulic press to the inside. This gives very precise control of the process and it's easy to see whether things are going correctly.

If you'd care to post it to me (well packed of course!) I'll give it a try, but obviously I can't guarantee success.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2023, 12:07 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Perfect – I'll take up Graham's offer and see how it goes!

PM sent to "Station X" Graham!

Chris Williams