UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2010, 12:18 am   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Red coloured getter in CRT

Hello there,
Whilst having a look at my latest aqusition, a GEC BT1091 I noticed that the getter is rather red in colour and slightly transparent. I have not seen a getter that colour before. I presume as it is not silver in colour then it is likely suffering from gas. What make is the CRT and what would be a sittable replacement type.
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 14th Mar 2010, 3:51 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Red coloured getter in CRT

Hi Chris,

Your CRT may not be faulty. If the getter used was a barium compound, it will leave a red deposit of the glass wall of the tube.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 14th Mar 2010, 7:48 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Red coloured getter in CRT

Two types of CRT were used in the BT1091. The most common type is a GEC 6504 with a strange 'pip' type EHT connector. A few Mullards were also fitted. As Skywave has said the getter need not be a hard 'mirror' and still give very good results. The 6504 is a 9" 'flat faced' triode and requires a higher focusing field than the Mullard tetrodes. Any 9" tube will fit providing you are willing to do a few mods such as maybe changing the base, fitting an ion trap, and arranging a mechanical fit. The 6504 has a 6.3v heater. The EHT potential is not critical and is given as 6.5kv in the GEC manual for the BT1091. Hope this helps? have you got as far as a picture yet? Regards, John.
Old 14th Mar 2010, 10:28 pm   #4
Danny
Heptode

These tube do go down to air sadly and i have at least four tubes that have suffered from this. but still worth trying it as you may be lucky. I bought a bt1091 at harpenden its getter is still silver so i have fingers crossed for this one. ferranti tubes work well as a replacement. but as stated above most 9" tubes can be used with simple mods. good luck. Danny
Old 15th Mar 2010, 9:53 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Another problem with these GEC tubes is an intermittent or permanant O/C cathode connection within the tube. A sharp tap on the neck usually brings the picture back for a short period. It's a pity because these tubes are capable of giving a superb picture, very bright and contrasty, if you can find one....J.
Closed Thread