UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2020, 5:08 am   #1
em536716
Hexode

Default Differences between Marconi 706 and HMV 904?

Hi all,

I’m not that familiar with either of these pre war sets, but have always wondered what the differences between them are. They physically look the same, radio dial, knobs and such, chassis look identical, but made by opposing makes. What’s the story here? Maybe I’m completely wrong!

I ask this, as for years I’ve been hunting primarily for an HMV 904 to add to my collection, but the chance to purchase a Marconi 706 has come up, to which, I’m pleased to say I’ll be collecting at the start of the new year!

Would be great to hear for comments.

Ed.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 9:41 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Differences between Marconi 706 and HMV 904

Not sure what you mean by opposing makes.

HMV and Marconi were all part of EMI since 1929 when HMV took control of Marconiphone followed by Columbia.

I recommend an excellent read The Setmakers by Keith Geddes and Gordon Bussey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Setmakers-H.../dp/0951704206

All will become clear(ish)

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 4th Dec 2020 at 9:43 am. Reason: added Columbia
Old 4th Dec 2020, 10:33 am   #3
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Differences between Marconi 706 and HMV 904?

Hi Ed,
EMI had both the HMV and Marconiphone brands (not Marconi). So all the 'Marconi' sets were made by EMI, alongside their HMV models.
The only difference between the chassis' is actually the colouring and branding of the tuning scale.

If you need any tips when restoring it, don't hesitate to ask.

BTW, when it came to the early 405 line syetem itself, the arrangement of the Marconi-EMI system was that EMI developed the video standard, the cameras and control gear, as well as the receivers. Marconi developed the RF part of the 405 line standard and provided the sound and vision transmitters that were installed at AP.

Cheers
Andy
Old 4th Dec 2020, 11:47 am   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

See here.

Peter
Old 4th Dec 2020, 3:39 pm   #5
em536716
Hexode

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I wasn’t aware of the EMI relationship with Marconi and HMV, although now it does appear to make sense. I did already think this might be the case but didn’t know if it were true. Couldn’t find much info online.

Thanks all.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 4:00 pm   #6
em536716
Hexode

Thanks Andy, Mike and Peter.

I did think the answer was quite obvious but wasn’t particularly sure. I have watched a few documentaries on YouTube about EMI but this mainly focused on the music pressing rather than Television.

Andy, I learnt recently about the Baird and Marconi EMI systems fight in the early years, but again, didn’t really make this connection in my head. Nothing wrong with confirming the obvious lol. Thanks, I’ll defo be posting on here for advice with my project. The nearest to a pre war set I’ve actually had my hands on is a Murphy V114 I’m currently working on!

I guess my next thought is, looking online, I can see that at least on here, a lot more HMV 904s appear to pop up. Would this make the Marconi 706 versions more rare?

Ed.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 4:31 pm   #7
em536716
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
See here.

Peter
I’ve just taken a look at the site you’ve shared. Brilliant read Peter! Cheers
Closed Thread