UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2020, 3:35 pm   #1
Leanoric
Triode

Default Shed oxide in a Sony SLV-353 VCR?

Hi all, I stumbled across this forum after seeking advice elsewhere so thought that I would join up and hopefully get a second opinion.

I recently purchased an old sony slv-353 vcr. It looked to be in pretty good condition for a 31 year old vcr, that was until i opened it up and discovered what looked to me like hair shavings all over the tape deck.

I was informed on a different forum that it is actually shed oxide and that the vcr is pretty much screwed. He that that I could try to clean it but it is risky and might not work.

I dont like to throw away old hardware when there is a chance to save it especially when its not being made anymore so i have started to try and clean it up.

I have actually managed to get the worst of it out but I am never going to be able to clean all of it without removing many parts, cogs, springs etc which i am not confident enough to do. Will that matter? Just wondering if I am wasting my time here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of photos of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C5B4805-562A-4479-BAEA-E6FDBA2AC914.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	220185   Click image for larger version

Name:	1D96A5B1-D8B7-46CC-89E7-A41A2471C9B8.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	220186  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 4:02 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Shed oxide in a Sony SLV-353 VCR?

Blow off the dust and tape oxide particles, clean the entire tape transport with isopropyl alcohol and regrease the moving parts and I'm pretty sure the machine will be fine. A very common problem with these Sony decks is the blue loading gear at the bottom that splits.

Regards

Fivos
Old 12th Nov 2020, 5:10 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I agree with Favos. It's not corrosion, but just "muck" of some kind. Whether or not the VCR works is another matter, but that really doesn't look like a show stopper. "Shed oxide" is oxide that's separated from the tape, but whether that suggests a problem with the machine or the tape itself...

B
Old 12th Nov 2020, 5:16 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Could also be the pinch roller .As well as tape path alignment if it has been got at.

Put on a none important tape and watch what gives.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 6:13 pm   #5
its ur aerial
Hexode

I endorse what the others have posted, back in the Day, I got to see a lot worse.
It definitely needs a good clean with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and as previously , highlighted inspect the Pinch Roller and tape guides etc.
Ken, G6HZG VMARS and RSGB member.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 6:35 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanoric View Post
... hair shavings all over the tape deck.

I was informed on a different forum that it is actually shed oxide and that the vcr is pretty much screwed. .
It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish people come out with online.
There are a couple of possible scenarios here:

-There has been a bad cassette put through it, where the tape has been scored against some broken part of the shell or some grit has been caught in the cassette and scored the tape.

-There is some tape path misalignment in the deck, causing the tape to 'ride' against the tape guide(s), or some other damage, causing oxide to flake off.

- or simply a deteriorated old tape where oxide has started shedding. Not so common but I have had it happen a couple of times.

First thing to do is, as said already, clean the tape path and deck. Then try a sacrificial tape. Any torque or guide problems should be noticeable especially at the start of a long tape, and especially in review mode.

Post back and let us know how it goes!
Old 12th Nov 2020, 7:08 pm   #7
Leanoric
Triode

Thanks for the advice guys, Im glad its more positive than previous. Fingers crossed that it was a bad tape that caused the mess and not the machine.

One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any grease anywhere that i can see, will just any type of silicone grease do or is there a particular type that i should get?
Old 12th Nov 2020, 8:53 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Am I right that the debris is all to the left side of the head drum, or is that just the photo?

And is that what shed oxide usually looks like? It's not impossible that some extraneous debris has entered the machine via the cassette loading slot, especially if it's been stored front-up.

N.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 9:44 pm   #9
Leanoric
Triode

The debris was spread over most of the tape deck area although it did seem to be a bit more concentrated on the left side of the head drum.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:01 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

Quote:

One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any grease anywhere that i can see, will just any type of silicone grease do or is there a particular type that i should get?
I would not add anything yet until we have ascertained how well the thing works.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:11 pm   #11
Leanoric
Triode

Ok thanks, Ill report back when Ive tested it.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:24 pm   #12
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

The points that often need lubrication are circled in red. But, as you can see from the straight red line, the P2 and P3 tape guides are not lined up, meaning that the blue gear is more than likely broken.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1D96A5B1-D8B7-46CC-89E7-A41A2471C9B8.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	220233  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:47 pm   #13
Leanoric
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
The points that often need lubrication are circled in red. But, as you can see from the straight red line, the P2 and P3 tape guides are not lined up, meaning that the blue gear is more than likely broken.

Fivos
Do you know if the blue gear is replaceable/still sold anywhere?
Old 12th Nov 2020, 11:26 pm   #14
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:

Fivos
Do you know if the blue gear is replaceable/still sold anywhere?
The part number is 3-736-147-01 and it's still available from many places since the failure rate of these was really high.

Fivos
Old 13th Nov 2020, 7:27 am   #15
vhs doctor
Pentode

Hi

Before you operate the VCR for check also the movement of the arm that moves the tape in pinch roller.
The grease that lubricate the shaft due to years became sticky and cause serious damage to the gears.

Also when you replace the loading gear apply (a drop of oil to the shaft)

Check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dOOy_-uMM
Old 13th Nov 2020, 9:09 am   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

The infamous P5 lever..I don't recall gear damage though that must have been, but I do recall tape damage. It may be the cause in this recorder as well.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 12:16 pm   #17
vhs doctor
Pentode

There are two faults if the P5 stuck
The first is that the mechanism became misalign and the second damage of the gears
Old 13th Nov 2020, 1:33 pm   #18
Leanoric
Triode

Ok Ive just tested it out with a tape. The first time the tape loaded and played, i didnt have it connected to a tv so i dont know if there is any picture or not.

I stopped the tape rewound it and ejected it. Pushed it in again and the tape loaded but then didnt play, it ejected. Every time I try it now the tape loads and then ejects? I did take short vid to post but the file is invalid.

Starting to think this needs to go back to the ebay seller as it wasnt cheap.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 1:36 pm   #19
Leanoric
Triode

Quote:
But, as you can see from the straight red line, the P2 and P3 tape guides are not lined up, meaning that the blue gear is more than likely broken.

Fivos
Yes and now that ive tried a tape, its seems to sit even further forward.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 2:41 pm   #20
Leanoric
Triode

Quote:

Fivos
You were right Fivos, Ive just had a look underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC4667F4-0377-4070-905C-60C0B6EA41B7.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	220271   Click image for larger version

Name:	09408590-4BCF-4EEE-9674-F287291ABBD2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	220272  
Closed Thread