UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2020, 9:15 pm   #21
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: When were the last CRT sets available in UK?

I can remember going into Comet twenty years ago and seeing a monstrous Goodmans 36" 4X3 CRT TV. It was about 30" deep, that was the point where I realised that the CRT TV had come to the end of the line.
Neil
Old 28th Nov 2020, 10:24 pm   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In 2004 I sold a small number of the Toshiba "Picture Frame" TVs.
These beautiful looking CRT sets came supplied with a matching glass and wood stand. Extremely heavy sets, especially if you had to carry one unaided.
This was the set that had problems with the signal processing module. Toshiba continued to supply replacements for the troublesome module long out of the guarantee period.
By the beginning of the next decade all of these sets had been replaced with the very latest LCD TV sets.
Eight years on it's likely even those sets will have been replaced.

DFWB.
Old 28th Nov 2020, 11:44 pm   #23
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

There is still a Samsung Slimfit in my lock up!! It worked 5 years ago when it went in, hopefully it still does, one day I might go and fetch it, need a bigger shed first though. The last new CRT set I ever bought was a 17" 4:3 Sanyo, probably in 2004, it was crap, I took it back because the colour purity would change when bright scenes were displayed, you would end up with green clouds in the sky on landscape scenes! It was replaced by Curry's, with an identical set, which also had the problem and was returned and replaced with yet another identical set which, no surprise, also had the problem! I gave up at that point and just put up with it, I've still got the set in the workshop, it's not a bad set picture wise, once you get used to the odd colour problem, it has auto switching for 4:3 and 16:9, SCART socket, and I'm not sure, but I think it even had stereo sound too, not bad for an almost portable! It was replaced as my bedroom set back in 2005 when I bagged an almost new 28" Bush widescreen CRT set at the local tip for a tenner, which is also still in my lock up!

One of my neighbours at my old house had a 28" Toshiba CRT set with a flat faced tube, they had it in their conservatory and it got a bit hot and melted the cabinet a little bit, so the front where the CRT was ended up all wonky! It still worked perfectly, and was given to me, that set was then given to one of my friends who used it until it died. Was a good set.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:50 pm   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

The odd colour problem in the 17" set will probably disappear if you turn down the contrast (beam current) a bit.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 11:34 am   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Sounds like a Thomson tube - it was a feature of those!
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 9:29 pm   #26
lightning
Heptode

l've got a friend who has a TV/domestic appliance shop locally and he has a number of NOS items including camcorders, CRT TV sets, HI FI and VCR's which he is planning to sell when he gets round to it.

The items were, literally, lost in the back of the store room having never been sold.

l will ask him what he's actually got, in case anybody on here is interested in any of it.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 9:38 pm   #27
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Still got a 28" widescreen JVC Interiart I bought new. Still works fine (probably not got a Philips CRT.) Doesn't get used much.
No idea if it's genuine JVC guts inside or a Vestel chassis, never had the back off.