UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2007, 3:48 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Leeds government surplus shop - no more!

Cannot remember its name - the one opposite the end of Mill Hill, near Leeds station. Went past this morning, and found that it's now a junk food shop.
End of an era - cannot be many of those shops left now.
Old 27th Oct 2007, 3:54 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Leeds government surplus shop - no more!

Hi Mike,

The last time I popped in and had a chat with the owner he said that he was planning to close the shop. He was selling most of his stuff on-line via his website and through Ebay. The shop just wasn't paying its way any more. I suppose most people are now looking on-line for this kind of kit now. Shame it was nice to pop in and 'rummage'.

Can't remember the name of the web-site though. It'll come back when I stop trying to recall it.

rgds
Colin
Old 27th Oct 2007, 4:12 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Yep - I remember buying something from his website, Colin, a year or so ago, via eBay.
His shop was often closed in the morning, so that might have not done him any favours.
It's nice when you can actually handle things.

He had a huge pile of test equipment, and quite a few marine chronometers as well; he collected and sold them.
Old 27th Oct 2007, 7:54 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi Mike. Don't you mean M & B Radio ? This shop was situated under the railway arches at Bishopgate Street at the end of Mill Hill. There is nothing in Leeds at all now that caters for the valve radio enthusiast, or for any other electronic hobby spares.There were other interesting electronic component shops in Leeds, such as Leeds Amateur Radio in Upper Briggate, Teleservicenter in Headingley, Newmart in Vicar Lane (these were mainly for new components). There was a radio shop in Hunslet that sold surplus components ( he also had a shop near the main bus station).
Regards
Mike
Old 27th Oct 2007, 11:00 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi Mike. Don't you mean M & B Radio ?
Wasn't there a surplus place in Leeds called AC Supplies? I don't know where it was, but it used to advertise in 'Practical Wireless' in the 1970's/1980's.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Oct 2007, 9:00 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi Mike. Don't you mean M & B Radio ? This shop was situated under the railway arches at Bishopgate Street at the end of Mill Hill. [ ... ]
Regards
Mike
That's the one, Mike. I would assume the rates and rent would have been too much in this very central location. Especially when you look at the prices of the yuppie flats, sorry, apartments, appearing quite nearby.

As a comparative newcomer to Leeds, I did not know of any other locations, and at that time I was servicing TVs as a living, so the enthusiasm waned a bit, but fortunately never left me!

When I worked in and lived near Manchester, the New Cross area was a mecca for surplus shops; the last one to go was the eponymous New Cross Radio, owned by the most affable Ted Birt. Disappeared in the 1970s.
There was a good one on Stockport Road in Levenshulme as well; an untouched (no Band III converter or holes) TV22 for £15 ended up with me.
Old 28th Oct 2007, 9:31 am   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

M+B seem alive and well according to their website, well, at least when I last looked

http://www.mb-radio.co.uk/frames/index.html
Old 28th Oct 2007, 2:55 pm   #8
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

M and B had a friend that had a unit just off the A1, it was more military than anything else but he did have some other stuff, mostly test equip etc. I remember going to him to buy an Avo 8 as M+B were on hols. I remember this place as a massive unit on a very big old industrial area within sight of the A1 flyover for (i think Leeds South) i will try to get better info and update this post as i do not know the Leeds area well. He also said he had a huge stock of leaded solder.
Maybe one of you Leeds Lads will know were i mean!
Cheers
Chris.
Old 28th Oct 2007, 11:02 pm   #9
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Update to last post.
I may be wrong but from the air i would say it looks like it is just off Haigh Pk Rd near the B6481 Pontefract Rd Leeds, co-ordinates as follows:53 degrees, 46' 04.18" N 1 degree, 29' 44.82" W
From memory this is the most likely looking place but don't travel miles to go just on the strength of this info as i could be wrong.
With a bit of luck one of the leeds members will see this and sort it out.

My Helicopter is running low on petrol now!,or do i mean Google Earth has jammed on me.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 8:08 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Right - near M1 J44. From his website, it looks as if there is very little left of the surplus components that were in the shop in the city - it is all mainly rather expensive stuff; mainly test equipment. Not even a lowly HRO or AR88.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 2:02 pm   #11
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike, The website that you refer to will be the M+B website, the guy that i mean is his friend and from what i remember he had allkinds in his unit.
I dont think that this guy will have a website at all, maybe not even a phoneline! but its worth a look for someone local then they could maybe give us an idea of what he has.

Hope this is of some help

Chris.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 2:33 pm   #12
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, Chris. I was referring to the M&B website.
Next time I can get there I might have a look at the place near the M1, but it'll be a while.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 3:24 pm   #13
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Leeds government surplus shop - STILL ALIVE

I have just rang the number on his website, and it seems that he did move last year sometime, but he assured me that he is very much alive,well and open at both the south Leeds unit and a new shop.
He also said that the shop is mainly top end stuff and the unit has all the other stuff.
So all seems to be o.k. and i am sure the new place will be worth a look.

Cheers
Chris.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 3:53 pm   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Great stuff, Chris; thanks for your trouble as I am sure there are a few of us around here that will be having a look.
Old 30th Oct 2007, 3:23 pm   #15
ben
Dekatron

on a related note, is anchor supplies of nottingham still going? i used to spend hours in thre but haven't been for about 9 years....
Old 30th Oct 2007, 10:39 pm   #16
Neil F
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
on a related note, is anchor supplies of nottingham still going? i used to spend hours in thre but haven't been for about 9 years....
Yes, still going strong. They still do quite a bit of electronic surplus. They have a website, too!

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/
Old 31st Oct 2007, 9:28 pm   #17
Dual Standard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
There was a good one on Stockport Road in Levenshulme as well; an untouched (no Band III converter or holes) TV22 for £15 ended up with me.
That was North West Electrics G3MAX
It closed many years ago, what was left of the stock moved to another shop a few hundred yards away but that soon closed too. The callsign G3MAX is still listed on QRZ as belonging to the shops owner Fred Nicholls.

Mike
Old 1st Nov 2007, 8:53 am   #18
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

That's the one, Mike! They sold stick-on resist transfers for PCBs as well; I think they were made in Stockport somewhere a few miles away.