UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2010, 5:27 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question The return of Radiomobile

In our local independent Auto Electrical Shop' window today, I have seen a (typical
modern Radio/CD Player) and a pair of In-Car Speakers, both bearing the once famous 'Radiomobile' brand name. This has obviously been revived
by an importer. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know any more about
this?
Old 21st Dec 2010, 5:46 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The return of Radiomobile

Have a look here:-

http://www.armourauto.com/radiomobile

Regards, Mick.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 5:55 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

From that link it looks as through they actually get involved with development work and don't just "box shift" stuff in
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:07 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
From that link it looks as through they actually get involved with development work and don't just "box shift" stuff in
This may be so, Chris, but how are they going to compete with the likes of Sony, Blaupunkt, VDO, etc., etc.?
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:14 pm   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Amazing, thought they had gone the same way as Bush, Murphy and all the other proper manufacturers. I used to have Radiomobile valve radios in my cars a year or two ago.

Peter
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 10:05 am   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Radiomobile always used to sub-contract some of their production.
One company that made them being Sidney S Bird, better known for their Cyldon tuner (as well as toy cookers, washing machines etc.)

Perhaps they still do the same.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 12:11 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

AFAIK(and I used to work for a Radiomobile Dealer)they never sub-contracted production to Sydney S Bird, although they did use the very good Cyldon push-button tuners in sets produced up to about the mid to late 1970s, and later the awful(IMHO)Bird P.B. tuner, in the 1070XB, etc.

This tuner suffered from slippage when manually tuned, due to the lack of a proper slip-clutch mechanism. As for Bird themselves, I think they went bankrupt in the early 80s, one of the causes being quality control problems with an in-car cassette mechanism they produced. A sad end for a firm who produced many things over the years, including an electronic organ.

These new Radiomobile products look to be far eastern, probably Chinese, in origin-only to be expected nowadays. From the 70s to the 90s, Radiomobile sourced some products from abroad, e.g. the 104 & 108SR 8 track players were Italian(Voxson), whilst the 308 & 309CSR Radio/Cassette Players were rebadged SANYO products. Later models were produced by FUNAI, also Japanese.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 11:54 am   #8
davehills
Retired Dormant Member

http://www.armourauto.com/brands
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 2:17 pm   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

Their website says Radiomobile was formed in 1953 - it was actually 1946 as a joint Gramophone Company (EMI) / Smiths, then became wholly Smiths. Nevertheless they always made good products, but in the late 1970s Smiths abandoned many home-made core business products (watches etc) for imports to concentrate on high tech businesses.

I'm looking forward to my Smiths' pension (thankfully not in soggy crisps!)

Barry
Closed Thread