UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 2:07 pm   #1
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default EPROM and NOVRAM programmers

Hello, I am looking for a programmer that can work with a number of different devices. I currently have a rather old LV48, and a newer TL866 mk2 but device support seems patchy.

I have a number of devices I need to work with currently:
Dallas DS1643
Signetics 27C256-15
ST M48Z08-100PC1 (to replace a DS1225Y)
M27128

I have been looking at the dataman series of programmers & would be interested in any thoughts or experiences of these.

Ideally, something that would also work with X2212 novrams, but looks like I might need one of the following specifically for that:
https://rfguys.com/products/ge-range...hip-programmer

Many thanks,
Retrotechie
Old 8th Jul 2020, 2:36 pm   #2
marty_ell
Triode

Default Re: EPROM and NOVRAM programmers

My Dataman S4 has been absolutely indispensable both in my career and hobbies and has worked hard and flawlessly for 20+years, only needing occasional NiCd pack replacement. The portability means I was able to update equipment in the field, also to work (reasonably safely) on equipment referenced to live earth.

The only downside is that adapters are needed for parts eg. GALs or single-chip micros that are outside the general EPROM-to-Flash area and these tend to be expensive (and may no longer be available - I haven't checked) - but if you 'know somebody' who has reverse-engineered them, adapters can usually be made up on the bench. I suspect however that Dallas DS1643 might be problematic.

Whether you can get hold of one for a reasonable price is another matter.

Cheers, Marty
Old 8th Jul 2020, 2:54 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Dallas DS1643 and ST M48Z08 are supported by the Dataman 48Pro2, current device support list here. (Click on 'downloads' Tab).

https://www.dataman.com/dataman-48pr...rogrammer.html

Pleased to see it still has pretty good support for Bipolar PROMs, even the Tesla brand which very few others support. I would buy one this very moment if I could somehow justify the cost. The same programmer is available badged as 'Elnec' and at least one other brand, you may find those marginally cheaper than the Dataman branded ones.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:51 pm   #4
Retrotechie
Pentode

Thanks for the heads up. The dataman does seem like a good choice though rather expensive (especially for the amount I’m going to use it) but hopefully I can find a used one fairly cheap.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 12:01 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I didn't check but the 48Pro2 almost certainly handles your

-Signetics 27C256-15
-M27128

As these are just versions of standard EPROMs

I didn't get as far as looking to see if the X2212 was on the device list as well.

About the price, I share your pain, you could probably get a little old run-around with a year's MOT for that kind of money.

The high end device programmer I have now cost me about the same in 1995 (ish) as that DataMan does now, it still works perfectly and so I can't justify spending the same money again to replace it, even though I have to keep a DOS computer in running order in order to run the support software.
Closed Thread