UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2020, 3:35 pm   #1
___veg___
Diode

Smile USSR Selena Vega 215 repair wanted (Kent)

Good afternoon all!

Hope everybody is keeping well during these strange times. I uncovered one of my dad's old sets during lockdown - an 80s-era USSR-made "Selena Vega 215" branded multi-band radio. It's cosmetically great and in working order but could benefit greatly from somebody knowledgeable who's able to repair and work on these beauties!

Problems are:
- Knobs for volume/tone/etc. are all either fuzzy or pretty unresponsive when twisting
- Internals may benefit from changing caps if there's any leakiness going on (not looked inside myself)
- Bulb doesn't work for illuminating bands. From what I understand this uses a rather non-standard bulb which may be impossible to source now, so it could perhaps do with a "warm" coloured LED upgrade?
- anything else that could return it to its former glory and keep my dad happy.

I've attached a pic, also there's some more info I found on here: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/vega_vega_215_selena.html

My dad loves this radio and I'd love to return it to him fully working as a nice treat.

I potentially have more silimar era radios too which could benefit from an internal look-over and clean-up in the near future too. As you can tell, I'm making the most of this lockdown and uncovering some real gems which I'll share on here.

I'm based in North Kent.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-06-07_15-23-20.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	207926  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:44 pm   #2
unitelex
Hexode

Default Re: USSR Selena Vega 215 repair wanted (Kent)

Hi
I can do it for you but I am based in Cheshire so you would need to cover the postage.

Will send you a PM

Best Regards
Chris
Old 9th Jun 2020, 7:53 am   #3
Viscount
Hexode

Should you take Chris upon his offer i have a 215 spare should parts be required, pots etc, alas not dial lights. rgds Tony
Old 9th Jun 2020, 6:38 pm   #4
unitelex
Hexode

Thanks Tony!
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:40 pm   #5
unitelex
Hexode

To close off this one...

I serviced this nice Soviet AM/FM receiver.

Faults:
1. One of the two dial lamps had failed.
These are 4.5V 65mA. There are two, wired in series with a dropper resistor of 68 Ohms fed from 9V (battery or from internal AC-DC transformer rectifier). I could not find 4.5V 65mA so ended up using 4.5V 100mA and reduced the dropper resistor by adding ~33R in parallel (IIRC). This achieved a similar brightness to the original bulb when passing the current it would have received. Power consumption with dial lamps illuminated was a little higher than original but this was not considered to be a problem as the lamps are only used momentarily when on battery power.
2. Tone control pot was loose
This fault on the same set has been reported by a Youtube repair blog. So worth looking out for if you service this set. Easy to re-tighten the jam nut once the chassis has been removed (unscrew 4 long die-cast spacers).
3. Oxidation of all contacts on all biscuits in the turret waveband switch.
Cleaned with IPA - also reported in the Youtube repair
4. Distortion of the metal frame/brackets
not sure if it was built like that or it suffered a drop at some point. Did some careful straightening using pliers. Re-aligned the waveband indicator wheel with the gear on the turret.
5. Owner asked for capacitors to be checked.
All electrolytics were tested and all good except one 47/50uF in the power supply, this was completely dried up and O/C - replaced with new.
6. Cleaned track on volume pot with IPA to cure usual crackling problem as reported by the owner
7. Cleaned the outside of the case, wooden part and plastics, removed some small emulsion paint splashes
8. Cleaned and touched up paint on control knobs. One knob had a broken shaft which needed repair using some plastic tubing and epoxy resin.
9. Replaced the perished foam pad in the battery compartment.

Best Regards
Chris
Closed Thread