UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:20 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Mullard Book and Service Manual Font, now identified!

Hi!

I first came across the font shown in the sample picture in the Mullard 1967 Book "PAL Colour TV – The PAL System & Mullard Circuits Described" and a lot of my T & M manuals – I asked if anyone could identify it, and got a reply that it was Courier, but in fact this isn't the case.

It is indeed a typewriter type font, and a camera font recognition tool found it – it's called "F25 Executive", and a version free for both private and commercial use can be downloaded here:–

https://fontsarena.com/wp-content/up..._executive.zip

Perfect for writing articles in late 1960s style!

Chris Williams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200603-232340.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	207600  
Old 4th Jun 2020, 1:38 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Mullard Book and Service Manual Font, now identified!

Thanks Chris.

Could be useful for touching up old page scans as well.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:02 am   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The UK division of Heathkit, Daystrom Limited, used F25 Executive as the standard text font on all it's Assembly Manuals so anyone who's got one of the usual atrociously faint pdf scans of these can fill in anything missing with identical lettering now!

So that's excellent progress made on preserving the Text Fonts as well as the Drawing Lettering now done, to my mind, preserving our diagram tools is as much in the spirit of this Forum as preserving the products themselves and I'm pleased to have been able to add my contribution with a bit of Mod help!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 4th Jun 2020 at 10:08 am.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:35 am   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The downside with that font is that it's a bit light on symbols; there's no Ω for a start. I do like the 'proper' fractions though, as opposed to so many where the numerator and denominator are delimited by a solidus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2020-06-04 10-21-42.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	207629  
Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:55 am   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I think there's an OTF version of "F25 Executive" that contains Greek Characters, I'll check this and if so I can convert it to t.t.f. with a font tool!

Chris Williams