UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2021, 2:57 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Radio New Zealand Short Wave

Hello all. I was somewhat surprised yesterday to pick up Radio New Zealand on my Mullard MAS281/15 (masquerading inside a Philips 170A bakelite cabinet). I received the transmission in the 41m band at 16:30 GMT using a 30ft long-wire. Reception was poor but partly intelligible. I looked up the station on the Web and found this link https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/listen confirming a transmission on Saturdays on 7390 kHz. A pleasant surprise since there aren't many decent AM shortwave stations left on air. Jerry
Old 28th Nov 2021, 3:32 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Radio New Zealand Short Wave

I'm surprised you were getting reception from a transmitter in the Pacific using such modest equipment. When I first read your post I assumed you were hearing a relay located somewhere much closer, but your link suggests not. Well done!
Old 28th Nov 2021, 5:04 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

If conditions are favourable at the time, it is surprising what can be heard. When I used to do a lot of SWL'ing I remember hearing Australia using nothing more than the built-in whip aerial. I think it was during an 'opening' when 10 metres was unusually active. All sorts of obscure amateurs as well coming in.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 5:42 pm   #4

Many moons ago I got Radio Australia on an Icom 720 with about a foot of wire stuck in the aerial socket. Led to a few brownie points as the girlfriend at the time was Australian. And HCJB Ecuador on the same radio with a similar "aerial". I must give Radio New Zealand a go.

Old 28th Nov 2021, 6:31 pm   #5
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Jerry,

Just been having a listen to the news on 7390kHz. Using an FT857 and
a home made 90cm magloop in the shack. I have been a listener since the 1950s, but I
must confess I haven't ever received RNZ before. I suppose it's because I didn't
look for it.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:28 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Nonode

Yes, those were the days. I became more seriously interested as an SWL in the mid 1960s. I was given a CR100 (actually an ex-RN B28) communications receiver which opened up a whole new world, including amateurs on SSB. Trouble was I needed a crane to lift it. It ran faultlessly for years until one of the screen decouplers went s/c. Somehow I managed to wield my Henley Solon 25W iron into the depths of the coil box and replace it. The receiver went into retirement during my college days and after getting married it sat in the back of the garage for years until eventually I fired it up and it still worked. I sold it in a BVWS auction in Harpenden I think. Jerry
Old 29th Nov 2021, 12:22 am   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

There's still the occasional satisfyingly interesting catch to be found in between the innumerable China and Romania sledgehammers, it makes it worth twiddling around the bands even now.
Old 29th Nov 2021, 9:05 am   #8
Rupert Bullock
Triode

Hello Jerry,
Try 11725kHz in the morning too if the Mullard has the 25m band....Radio New Zealand has been a fine strong signal here in Bucks on most days this month peaking around 10AM but audible from before 8AM until after midday. It is a nice clear frequency.
All good fun.
Rupert
Old 29th Nov 2021, 11:01 am   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I have occasionally heard Radio New Zealand on my shortwave radios just using there built in telescopic rod aerial.
I will have to give 11725Khz a go when I am next off work.
Old 4th Dec 2021, 1:16 pm   #10
Superscope
Octode

Well, I'm absolutely amazed!

Never thought for one minute I would pick it up, but after reading this
Thread, I thought it would be worth a try.

Spun the Dial round on my Kenwood TS440 to 11.725 Mhz and there it was!

Ok, very low in the Noise but remarkably stable over several Hours.
I found fine tuning it in on SSB a great improvement because of the noise.
Took a while to definately identify it as RNZ pacific though.

My Antenna wasn't helping, as I only had a 28Mhz Vertical set up.

Seems if you are picking this up, it really is coming from one location on the
North Island of NZ.
Their Transmitter is running 100Kw.

Ian
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:35 am   #11
majoconz
Heptode

They have recently had an upgrade to the antenna systems. Although the transmitter is only 100kW the antenna has a reasonably narrow pattern aimed at the south pacific islands or south east asia - the EIRP is around 5MW! Most programming come from our "National" programme on the MW and FM bands which is probably why there's not many station idents.
Here's all the tech gen....

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/technical
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:37 pm   #12
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

And I expect antipodeal focussing probably helps a bit!

Kind regards
Dave
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:48 pm   #13
Restoration73
Nonode

Back in the '80s RNZI was a difficult catch with its 10kW ex-WW2 modified CW units.
I did send a report and they kindly sent me a copy of "The Listener"
ABC was easier as it had more power and sites.

Although now a very good signal, the audio sounds as if it is double-hop propagation.
Closed Thread